Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jaw Jacker woes
[quote PACMEN]I am dedicated to getting it to work if for no there reason than bull headedness.[/quote]

A great attribute that has led many of us to success. My mother called it sticktoitivness. It'll make your success even sweeter. Be sure to let us know when you get it right. We're pulling for ya[Smile].
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Hey just wanted to let you know I used the small jig today and hooked 4 for five hits. It did better than I did on my active rod. I only caught two. And the one missed strike was with a larger bait too. So stick with what folks have recommended it will work for you. Later J
[signature]
Congrats on that, but I hope your ego isn’t easily bruised like mine when it’s out fishing me. They are really fun but it is doing better than I am lately. Really helps bump my numbers so most trips sound respectable. Hope you like yours as much as I do. If you need any set up tips let me know. Later J
[signature]
Which wheel are you finding works the best? From a youtube video, I am guessing the wiggle wheel looks like it would work the best.[fishon]
[signature]
Fish Lake perch are more work than they are worth except for tipping.
[signature]
It really depends on what you’re after and the day. We did well with the tooth shaped big jig on trout at Henry’s. I’ve been using the wiggle on the crappie but it depends how the fish are acting. If they are a little sleepy and like a dead stick rather than active I go more for wiggle, when they are taking it aggressively then I give them the big jig. The fish will tell you. If no hits try a different pattern. So far I’ve got as more hits on the jiggers than my active rod. It helps me know how to jig that day. I set it up while I’m getting set up and usually have a bite before I’m ready to start fishing. Try it I think you’ll love it. Wish I would have invented them I think they will do really well. Later J
[signature]
Use a circle hook and set drag so fish can take some line if you not able get to quickly.
[signature]
[quote PACMEN]I really like the looks of the Jigging Jacker and when I get the regular to work I think I will get the jigging base. One hurtle at a time though.[/quote]

Another member just posted about his jigging jaw jacker, with a video, that you and others might find some interest in, here is a link to that thread:
http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...ead#unread
Pretty interesting the action you get from the different wheels. This video might even help you with your regular Jaw Jacker woes because it shows how the fish will not trigger it in certain conditions.
[signature]
After losing a trout a lot I switched to a larger hook for the jaw jacker. Started going with anywhere from a size 8 to a size 2 with half a night crawler threaded on with a bait needle and dramatically increased the number of hookups that stay hooked until I can get to it. It looks like they just have an easier time of getting unhooked from the little jigs. The bigger hook is less likely to get ripped out on the hookset, which is good because I set my jawjackers with a pretty aggressive bend on the pole.

Tell you what though, sightfishing on Fish Lake changed the way I think about what's going on under the ice. It's amazing how often trout will swim up to your offering, get within a few inches and then turn around hard and jostle the bait and trip the jawjacker if it's set very light and how often perch trip it by biting the swivel.
[signature]
Haven't got to try all the suggestions but we are going within the next couple of days.
One of my problems I am thinking after watching some videos is like you my rods are reel aggressive. I think I am tearing the hook out on fish larger than fish lake perch. Drug out an ugly stick I never liked because of the soft tip. Going to try it out.
[signature]
Yes go with the Ugly stick on the JJ, it took me a while of trial and error on the rods I used including breaking the tip off of a lightning rod in the JJ....

I found that the softer glass rods are better in the JJ and then you can adjust how hard you want it to set the hook by the angle you set at the butt end of the pole...

I usually go with the mid setting, but have went at the steepest before depending on how deep I'm fishing... I tried the shallowest angle the other day and missed about a half dozen hits in a row so I cranked it up to the mid setting and started hooking on the next fish.

I hear a lot guys are liking the dock buddy rods from Walmart in 30-36" lengths... They are glass rods that bend easy without breaking...

I'm using Ugly sticks on my JJ in 30" length and I really like that combination it does well on panfish and trout so far... It has a soft tip and then backbone in the rod itself so it works well hooking and then giving the fish some flex for fighting while I'm scurrying to grab the rod..

I do like the longer rods in the JJ, at least 30" so it doesn't put too much stress into the rods... I'm a little gun-shy since I broke the one rod tip... Good luck when you get after them... Later J
[signature]