Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ATV use during the Burbot Bash
If I decide to fish the Burbot Bash will I have to get any special permits to use in Wyoming? It is legally licensed in Utah.
[signature]
You'll have to get a WY ORV (Off Road Vehicle) permit. They run $15, you can read more & get the permit here;
http://wyoparks.state.wy.us/index.php/or...its-trails
[signature]
Forgive the ignorance, but after reading your attached link, I don’t know if it applies to ATV’s on the Gorge. Maybe I’m reading it wrong?? I was also informed a couple of years ago by a conservation officer that a Utah registered ATV is OK on the Wyoming side of Gorge. Is that not right?
I've been told similar things by different people over the years and never got the ORV myself. Last few years I've spent 6-10 days each ice season on the WY side of the Gorge. Never had a problem, but never been checked, so there's that. Lol! After reading this on the WY website:

"No reciprocity for ORV or OHV out-of-state registrations. Non-residents must purchase Wyoming ORV permit if operating in Wyoming."

I will be getting the ORV permit this year. I believe only dumb luck has spared me this long, no desire to push it further.
[signature]
The following is the part I noticed from the link..”A Wyoming ORV permit is required for all enrolled roads, routes, and 50" or less trails designated for ORV use.”

Is the Gorge deemed an enrolled road, trail, or designated for ORV use? This would be the first question I would ask. Now I’m curious.
Tried to contact Forest Service today but they are on Furlough because of the shutdown. A lady at the Fish and Game Dept. in Green River would not give me any info. Said it was not their call. ????!?
[signature]
I think what you quoted is the key, " roads, routes, and 50" or less trails designated for ORV use", the ice does not fall under any of those categories, so if you can get on the ice with out going on the land on the Wyo side, you should be OK. I know they have never checked us on the ice with an ATV but if they catch you on the shore, they can and will check you. I think it has to do with them not knowing where you accessed the ice, you could have accessed the ice from the Utah side and even though it might be a long haul, you could drive anywhere on the Wyo side but if you are actually taking your machine off your trailer, on the Wyo side and don't have it licensed in Wyo expect to receive a ticket, if they catch you on the shore. We have had the Wyo Fish and Game check our fishing license and never said a thing about the ATV sitting right beside us.
[signature]
Correct
[signature]
Key words are street legal. Licensed for the street.
[signature]
Decided to go ahead and purchase a ORV sticker when I go thru Mountain View. The Maverick sells them there. 15.00 is better than a ticket.
[signature]