Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEWEST Fishable ice list 2/3/19
DISCLAIMER: I am gathering information about ice conditions from a few different sources but mainly from reports posted here on Big Fish Tackle. This is intended mainly to let everyone know about safe places to ice fish. I don't post anything about the quality of the fishing, species targeted or caught, bait or methods used, etc. Please search out the individual reports if you are looking for that information. And remember that my digest here is only as accurate as the reports I gather. No one should venture out onto any ice without checking it carefully. We would rather hear FROM you than ABOUT you! [Smile]

These waters have been reported having thick-enough ice now (2/3/19):

High Uintas lakes
Boulder Mountain lakes
Tony Grove
Huntington (Mammoth)
Cleveland
Scofield
Mill Hollow
Smith and Morehouse
Flaming Gorge Check locally for current conditions in the spots you want to fish.
Little Creek Reservoir
Woodruff Reservoir
Echo
Mantua 11" ice
Birch Creek Reservoir
Otter Creek
Big Sandwash
Matt Warner
Sheep Creek Lake
Mill Meadow
Forsyth
Electric Lake
Strawberry/Soldier Creek
Currant Creek
Causey
Panguitch
Rockport
Tibble Fork
Newton
Mill Meadow
Millsite
Jordanelle Rock Cliff and Hailstone
Fish Lake
Hyrum
Minersville
Pineview
Porcupine
Hyrum
Paragonah
Yankee Meadow
Lower Stillwater Ponds
Holmes Creek
Farmington Pond
Lost Creek
Maybey Pond
East Canyon
Starvation
Willard North Marina
Settlement
Joe's Valley
Deer Creek island area
Vernon
Little Dell

Feel free to post any additions or corrections here. Or you can PM me.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Just read about fishers going through the ice at Strawberry with their snowmobile. Please, please, please don't assume everyplace on a "fishable" lake is safe to travel on.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

We're getting reports that Rockport has 4"-7" of ice and people are fishing it. If you go, be cautious and if it doesn't feel safe, go up the road to Echo.
[signature]

Yesterday there was 4" of ice near the Strawberry Marina. That and the fact that a snowmobile went in have given me pause. Of course the ice should thicken with subzero lows, but treat it with some serious respect.
[signature]

I believe it needs at lest 8 inches before ATV and snowmobiles are safe.
[signature]
There's Always Time For One More Cast
Cameras show people out on hyrum right now but I dont know ice conditions. Thinking of taking a drive up to the pig to see how things look there
[signature]
Remember that Flaming Gorge is a huge and complex reservoir. Ice condition one place does not translate well to others. Best to inquire locally. The lake can be very slow to freeze in many places.
[signature]

Newton Reservoir had five inches of good ice.
[signature]
I second fatbikers comment was out there all day today fishing was slow for me with just a handful of perch but my friend did good. Where we were ice was four of clear and about an inch of fog on the top
[signature]
Tiblefork has 12 in most places and the fishing is pretty good with a few going over 1lbs. Grate place to take the kids if the fishing is to slow for them there's good sledding all around.
[signature]
Thanks all for your recent reports. They help us keep up to date and help everyone find a good safe place to fish. Peace
[signature]

I agree, and to me the reason is NOT that 5" of ice won't support a snowmobile.

The reason is this; if the ice is 5" where you are, it's going to be 3" (maybe less) SOMEWHERE on the lake. And even at reasonable speed on a snowmobile, you aren't going to have time to check.
[signature]
Does anyone know about the ice at Starvation and yuba?
[signature]
Good point. I don't want to get in one of those contests Dubob mentioned somewhere, but the same obviously goes for just walking on the ice. Yes, 2" may hold a person, so we wait for 4" generally because the natural variation means there will be those thinner spots. And 2" here means 0" somewhere nearby.
[signature]

Flaming Gorge report by RYNO on 1/2/19:

"Some of the bays on the Utah side are starting to ice over, but the mainlake is still open. In Wyoming the mainlake has capped above Brinegar Ranch. The area above Currant Creek currently has the most fishable ice, with 4-12 inches, depending on where you go. Being nighttime temps are in the negative and daytime temps are in the single digits, ice is forming quickly and conditions are getting better each day."
[signature]

Mill Meadow has been fishable for some time. Vernon, Settlement, Grantsville were close but we need a more recent update.
[signature]

Millsite has 5" of ice.

The Rock Cliff area of Jordanelle has 4-6".

Yuba has 3".

Joe's Valley is capped but ice thickness is unknown.

Steinaker and Red Fleet are capped and being fished but ice can be marginal.
[signature]

Took my snowmobile on 7" of clear ice but we took the main road to get where we wanted not crossing the lake like those who fell in the hot spring.
[signature]
[quote Flyfishinglover]

Took my snowmobile on 7" of clear ice but we took the main road to get where we wanted not crossing the lake like those who fell in the hot spring.

[/quote]

Quite certain it is not a hot spring, but just a regular cool spring. I have fished it numerous times from my boat and I have never noticed any temperature difference.
[signature]
TopH2O reports that Knight Hollow at Starvation is safe to fish now. For the rest of the lake, here's what he wrote:

"I would suggest playing it safe until the State Parks personnel have the opportunity to check the conditions this weekend. I would urge anyone fishing other areas of Starvation this weekend to be very careful and take all the early season ice precautions. Don't fish alone and have a throw rope readily available with your party."
[signature]