Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ririe
Any ice on Ririe yet?
[signature]
It is -13 at my place in Idaho Falls this morning. Certainly should encourage the ice formation. So far no ice though.
[signature]
[fishon]Thanks hope it comes soon
[signature]
Just got off the phone with Secretary at RIRIE. The lake capped over yesterday and may be ready to fish by the weekend. Won't be long now. Cheers.
[signature]
[quote fallsfish]Just got off the phone with Secretary at RIRIE. The lake capped over yesterday and may be ready to fish by the weekend. Won't be long now. Cheers.[/quote]

Saweeeeeeeeeeet!
[signature]
About 30 fishermen on the lake yesterday. There is 3.5 inches of ice. Didn't see any kokanee caught only perch and trout. Hope the warm weather doesn't mess up the ice condition.
[signature]
Went out early (0630) and the wind and snow was miserable. Being the first in I had to break the snow drifts, what fun. Waited a while and Bob came along plowing the road to the lake. About 0730 a buddy came along and we decided not to get on the lake. Better weather tomorrow. Back home by 0830.
[signature]
Thanks for the update!
[signature]
So can a wheeler make it down into Blacktail or does it have to be a snow machine?
[signature]
All I know is what a friend told me. He went out there with his chained four wheeler and decided not to go in there. From the tracks it looked like only snow machines been down the trail. He said the trail in to Blacktail would be over two miles.
[signature]
FYI, there are regulations (not fishing regulations) that do not allow snow mobiles on Ririe. It is a weird regulation, but still in existence. I believe there were a few ticketed last year.

Also, even though Blacktail is open to ice fishing now, the road / area in is still closed to motor vehicles due to Elk winter range. I think you are risking a ticket by driving you wheelers or snowmachines down from the road.
[signature]
[quote NJDiverDan]FYI, there are regulations (not fishing regulations) that do not allow snow mobiles on Ririe. It is a weird regulation, but still in existence. I believe there were a few ticketed last year.

Also, even though Blacktail is open to ice fishing now, the road / area in is still closed to motor vehicles due to Elk winter range. I think you are risking a ticket by driving you wheelers or snowmachines down from the road.[/quote]

These are federal laws restricting snow machines on the ice at Ririe and protecting Blacktail road access for elk winter range. I have not seen these rules changed but it typically takes a Federal Officer to cite you for the infraction.
[signature]
So if I read this right . The only way to fish Blacktail leagly, is to ride your atv from Juniper to Blacktail . Does anyone trust the ice to make this trip safely?
[signature]
No!!!!!!!!!!
[signature]
Hopped on the snow machine and took a ride into Blacktail yesterday. Gate was open at the top of the hill. No problem getting down to the lake. Fished for a couple hours by the new boat ramp. Ended up with a dozen perch and a couple rainbows. There was an inch of water and slush on top of eight inches of pretty good ice. Tonight’s temps should get it pretty solid again.
[signature]