Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
homemade lures
got a favorite homemade lure ? tell us about it , what you catch with it , and how you fish it .
[signature]

Hey there lonehunter,

I made some some killer saltwater plugs. I patterned them after the bass lures of the time (1960's). I got parts from Netcraft and used the woodshop lathe to shape the wood.

The special thing about the plugs is that I made them from an old, very, very hard and cured shovel handle. There were really hard to paint as the wood was so darn hard. Caught lots of barracuda on them even though my pinhead buddies were laughing at me. I had this huge roddy coffeegrinder/spinning rod combo and outfished everybody!![laugh][laugh][laugh]

JapanRon
[signature]
MY MOST SUCESSFULL LURE WAS ONE THAT I DID NOT THIK WOULD WORK FOR ANYTHING , A FLY .

MADE FROM WILD TURKEY WING FEATHERS AND BLACK FIR . THE SUCKERS LOVE IT !

THIS YEAR I'M BACK TO CARVING PLUGS AND MAKING JIG MOLDS .

MY RECENT TRY IS A JIG WITH A SWIVEL , LEAD IS TAPERED AND WINGED FOR A GLIDE TO THE BOTTOM INSTESAD OF A DROP , AND YES , I'VE ALREADY APPLIED FOR A PATENT AND AM GOING THRU THE SEARCH PROCESS .

MY THOUGHT IS THAT A WALLEYE OR OTHER FISH WOULD HIT IT BECAUSE OF THE GLIDE IT DOES , LIKE A WOUNDED FISH SHOOTING UP FOR A SECOND THEN GLIDING DOWN TO THE BOTTOM AGAIN .
[signature]
[cool]way t o go there bud! ya know i hate to sy it but some of the most ppopular, the most whatever came outof not knowin. jajahaha and thatsw the way tis. hhja ya hearme. we got moe knowlegede than msost figure,. if on,y we use it, ahaha ya hear me?? i,m just an old lady but i know that what needs doin is needin doin. and you can do it too,! if anybodyl,l i,m sick of bein the one thats left behind aint you?? i,m bout ready to git out there and do what needs doin. its never too late. remember that. you tekll my son that too fer me ojk?? lunv mare[Smile][Wink]ya always member i believe in yuo guys oik.?? and you kids too. luv mare the old mother hen. ahahahah[Smile][Wink]
[signature]
This may not qualify for a lure but.... I lived in Panama City beach FL in the early 80's and loved to fish for bonita or blue fish as bait for shark fishing. Well bonita is a fast fish and we fished for them of the Saint andrews jetties and kept getting cut off by the rocks, very expensive on lures. One day I was in the shop and found a thick walled chrome pipe. I cut the pipe into 2inch pieces and used a vice to crip both ends. I put a barrel swivel on one end and a treble on the other after drilling small holes. They did not look like much but the bonita hit them hard and it did not cost me anything when I lost them. One time I even had a seagull snatch one. I brought him in and let him off the hook (pun intended) after getting bit a few times.[Smile]
[signature]

Hey there DanielJRioux,

While fishing, I've been... stung, bit, sliced, stabbed, scratched, slapped, hit, pinched and scrapped but nothing.... but nothing was worse than being bitten and scratched by a tuna seagull. They are very dirty because they don't perch like other seagulls and preen. It was a month before my hand even got near being not sore or discolored.

JapanRon
[signature]
I know, that hurt like the dickens. Like you said it took a while to heal and the corpsman even put me on Antibiotics because I was hard headed and let it get realy bad. But you could do nothing about the bird because it was and is illegal to harm them or endanger them in any way. I think of them as flying rats.
[signature]
[Tongue] Hey Daniel... dya think that Oklahoma stripers would hit one of those things? I did catch a bass once on a Budweiser Beer can (big Bud)! Still got the Big Bud, but the fish is just a pleasant memory.
[signature]
They just might. They look just like the bait fish the bonita were going for in P.C. Give it a try, they are really easy to make. One Idea I had is to add a feather or marabo tale onto the hook. Never did it but I think they would work better, more action.
[signature]
[Tongue] What was the diameter of the pipe? 2"?
[signature]
I do not remember the exact diameter but it was a solid pipe that you see under sinks sometimes. 1/4 maybe no bigger than 1/2. It was thick walled and heavy also.
[signature]
inexpencive and durable , best yet they work ! who could ask for anything better .[cool]
[signature]

[signature]
Well I Got speak up about my home made Bucktail Jigs.I have been making them for 10 years+ now. All different colors,weight's and combo's Mostly 1/6 and 1/8 will work for any fishing up to 25', Heavier in the river currant or on windy days.I use my jig 98 %of the time and you talk to anyone I fish with and they will tell you I make killer Jig's. When I go with someone I haven't fished with before they pull out some of the weirdest tackle I have ever seen. I will tie on a Jig concidering, water, sky and what I'm after. Most of the time I will catch at least 5 fish to their 1 or two. Not bragin here It's a fact. Lunker of the day too. There is an art to Jigging just like anything else and I think many angler snag a few time and give up on Jiggin. I LOVE IT Once you know how to Jig Wiggle your worm Your fishin. Brian...
[signature]