Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Provo Harbor white bass 12/31
Joatmon and I ice-fished for white bass off the docks at Provo yesterday morning. There was about an inch of ice which yielded easily to his hand auger and my shovel. The action was very slow with he catching a handful including an 11.5" monster that should put him high up in the panfish division in the Challenge. And I, I caught, dunh-ta-ta-duh (trumpets blare and cymbals crash), you guessed it: one fish. However it was a whopping 11" which should put me somewhere up there in the panfish division, too. We saw a few others try and leave apparently fishless so I don't feel so bad. According to one little Asian man who visited us the bite has been off for two weeks.

The best setup was a small Kastmaster with perch meat on the treble. In fact my one fish bit on a deadstick presentation while I was messing with my other rod. My lure was silver and his was silver/blue.

Maybe when (if?) the ice is thick enough to walk on at Lincoln we can get into some numbers. At least I have that one seed-stock white bass [sly].
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Today, I observed fish after fish pulled in on the western portion of the lake. Some areas were pretty slow compared to other areas in the same marina.

Location, location, location.
[signature]
Thanks. Can you be more specific on the location of all this catching? Was this through ice or is there open water there?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

[quote catchinon]

According to one little Asian man who visited us the bite has been off for two weeks.
[/quote]

I hope you didn't believe him, because that is not true.
[signature]
Yeah, I know you caught 75 in one short session within that time frame and that people are catching plenty in other places. I wish you would PM me that spot and what you used to catch them all [Smile]. I do know that several people came, tried , and left fishless so something is up. Maybe the happy harvesters caught them all up[Wink]. Isn't there a point in the winter when the bass just pretty much shut down? But I thought that came a week or so after the freeze-up so that there is a frenzy of catching for a while through the ice. Peace
[signature]

I'm not him, but I will say, I think I met you at the Provo, and we skunked out before trying. We went to Lincoln Beach and did great casting into the tiny bit of open water around the spring inlets (and it was small). Several people, very neighborly packed in tight, but all catching plenty of fish.

We caught them through the ice as well, along with some small crappies and bluegill. The ice had covered everything over, but nobody trusted it to walk on out in the tiny bay near the springs, as it was basically brand new, untested, and kind of odd. It was all different colors and had weird patters throughout, just didn't look ggod, and made noises when walked upon. There was a scant inch on top, an inch- thick middle layer of water and loose ice crystals like spikes and vertical sheets, then almost two inches of better ice below. So a few of us drilled holes in the deeper spots we could find right next to shore, maybe even 20 feet out and had to content ourselves with that.
[signature]
Thanks for the report. It sounds a little scary to me, but maybe it has firmed up some in these last few cold days. I may get out there to check. What were they biting on anyway? Would love to catch some crappie and bluegill to start my species count for this year.
[signature]

I'm certain the ice is fine by now. It has been COLD with no snow to cover it. It was just less than 2-3 days old.

WB were pretty easy to catch, taking regular curly-tail jigs where you could cast. Colors I saw used were like the green/watermelon, firetiger, pink and white, dark orange and white.

The bluegills and crappies were taking all kinds of small ice flies tipped with Crappie Nuggets or waxworms. Saw and used some like these.

https://goo.gl/images/r9LGje

https://goo.gl/images/Cf2uPb

https://goo.gl/images/fJzuAR

Anything in that last pic would probably have worked..... almost all the panfish were small, but most were also caught 3' off shore in @ 3' of water.
[signature]
Thanks for the details; you're the best. I just gotta get out there.
[signature]