Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starvation?
Has anyone been to or driven by starvation (rabbit gulch) recently? Just wondering if it has safe ice.
[signature]
I was wondering the same thing.... hopefully someone chimes in.
[signature]
A friend and I fished Starvation today in Knight Hollow. There is 7 to 10 inches of ice in Knight Hollow near the shore where you can drive to the water's edge. The north side of the bay had open water last Monday and it has since frozen. I've been told the whole reservoir is now capped but I can't tell you how thick the ice is in other areas.

There were six other parties in Knight Hollow today and I'm sure the word will be out soon that the lake is capped. I suspect Rabbit Gulch has safe ice now in the upper portions of the bay. I would be very careful going out toward the main body of the lake for the time being.

We caught quite a few small (10-14") rainbows today using small white tube jigs tipped with a meal worm. We didn't get any of the larger 'bows we've caught in the last two weeks. I did catch ONE (1) perch that was 13 inches. I took a photo for the Ice Fishing Challenge and released her to spawn later this spring. The smaller perch have apparently become walleye poop.

We fished today at depths between 12 and 22 feet with around 16 feet being the most productive.

Mike
[signature]
Thank you! That perch is a toad!!!
[signature]
I have a feeling it's a very lonely toad. First perch I've caught this winter at Starvation in five outings in the last couple of weeks. We've probably caught nearly 150 rainbows, a few browns and one walleye. If there were significant numbers of perch we would have caught more at Knight Hollow.

Like I said before, I think most of the perch have become walleye poop.

Mike
[signature]
Congrats on getting the #1 panfish in the Challenge, at least so far[Smile]. That will be hard to beat. I wonder if Fish Lake has one that big[pirate]?

Should I put Starvation on the ready-to-fish list, do you think?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I think by the end of the day tomorrow we will know if the entire reservoir has safe ice for fishing. As recently as last Sunday/Monday there was quite a bit of open water in all areas except Knight Hollow. Knight Hollow is safe now on the east and south areas, I suspect the ice isn't very thick yet across the bay to the north/northwest as it just froze earlier this week.

I would suggest playing it safe until the State Parks personnel have the opportunity to check the conditions this weekend. I would urge anyone fishing other areas of Starvation this weekend to be very careful and take all the early season ice precautions. Don't fish alone and have a throw rope readily available with your party.

Mike
[signature]
The only way you are getting a 13" perch at Fish Lake is to glue two of them together.
The tiger muskies are not doing their job fast enough.
Even though they are small down there, I just cant get enough of that place!
Have fun.
[signature]
Any suggestions for a first-timer there tomorrow?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

You going to FL tomorrow?
[signature]
Yes.
[signature]

Lucky!!!
I can help with a few tidbits of information.
Want to call me real quick and chat for a few minutes? We can keep it as quick as you want because I'm sure you need to get some sleep for the drive.
After all, I'm just sitting here with my foot in the elevated position....
801-310-8142.
[signature]