Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vernon/Grantsville/Settlement
I am Curious if anyone has traveled out to Vernon Reservoir recently?
I want to know if it has any fish-able ice for this upcoming Sunday.
I'm looking for places to to go Ice fishing that are too long of a drive.
I've fished at Settlement Canyon, and it has about 3-4" of ice on the North Western end by the Dam, and about 1-2" near the opposite side, and still has a lot of open water, and no bites.
I've driven up to Grantsville Reservoir, just to see if it had any ice. There was one person ice fishing on the Northern side by the Campgrounds, and there was some ice on the Southern side, but there was still a lot of open water every where else. Haven't yet fished Grantsville though.
Any information would be much appreciated and helpful!
There was a report on one of the facebook fishing pages about a guy falling through at Vernon last weekend. Said ice was about 2in where he fell through.
[signature]
Reminders are always a good thing.......

but LAST weekend we lived in an entirely different WORLD! It's cold as cold can be out there these days.
[signature]
It's been 18* for a high and -6 at night out here. Should be good ice although I haven't been up to the reservoir yet. Remember that the Bennion Creek pipeline comes in over on the west side near the spillway and the ice is always sketchy around that area due to the warmer water. Some years it never freezes completely. Lots of snow and will need 4 wheel drive to get there. Good luck
[signature]
Thank you for the information! Its much appreciated.
Thanks for the information! I had no idea that someone fell though the ice up there!
[signature]
Yes, but we're going into a week of warmer weather, so I hope what we have gained will hold, but it doesn't look so great for the lower/warmer lakes.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

One other thing to be aware of.....Vernon was basically a creek for most of the summer due to the drought. The last time it was planted was Oct 15 when they put in 3000, six inch tigers. I wouldn't expect a lot for this ice season because of how tough the water year was. The little pond is filling up slowly so watch the edges.
[signature]