Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview Nites
I'm recalling the fun and productive evening fishing for average sized crappie a couple seasons ago, Browning Pt. and Cemetery Point.....Any of you Pineview guys tried that yet this season (ice)....sounds like ice is good, and I'll report when I try it, but just wondering if there's been any evening activity yet from you guys...[cool]....tks, and Guluk...
[signature]
Mine was about midday, but I got into some in 40 ft of water right off the bottom. I was fishing off browning point.
[signature]
Are you talking about just recently? or seasons past...crappie? or perch.....tks...
[signature]
2 days ago. They were crappie. I was really trying to target perch, but could only find small ones. Lots and lots of small ones.
[signature]
Lets keep pv on the down low dont want it to turn into another echo
[signature]
Last year, some very nice perch rather suddenly (to me) appeared during early ice, and I caught a lot of them in my first 3-4 trips. Reports on crappie were very few and rather quiet. On this site, I never saw anyone cop to having caught any. I heard none of the more 'casual" guys report any crappie success. All reports I heard were after the fact, over the rest of the past year. Some have admitted to catching a few, which tended to be large, but sparse and finicky. A few accusations of a "know-nothing" crappie cartel of suppressing reports, but nothing was proven.

This year, so far all I have heard about were small perch, but there were enough of the nice 9 and 1/2-11" girls that just showed up, that I'd be shocked if we had somehow fished em out. However, I suspect that they were the vanguard of a rising population, and that there should be tons of the next year class down, and the one below that, and the class smaller than that. All I hear so far is small perch reports.

I plan on trying a night trip for crappie, but I'm waiting for a new sonar to arrive, and judging by my one attempt last year, and a few trips the year before that (where I caught crappie, but not like I had the year before THAT) I basically don't know what I'm doing.

Good luck.
[signature]
I think some talk about all our local, and not so local, rivers and reservoirs is a good thing...especially now, we are talking ice safety on these various bodies of water....and let's face it, ice fishing is way more popular than it was 10, 15 years ago, and we all need a safe place to go...that's why Mantua gets hit so hard right away early....it'll settle down, so will Echo....but weekends and holidays will always see heavier usage, and Yup, Echo got hit hard soon after safe ice....I worked a long time to be able to fish during the week, and almost always leave weekends for those still working...you'll get there too....But now, talking about places like Strawberry, Mantua, Rockport, Pineview, Echo, Flaming Gorge, and even some of our neighborhood ponds, like Farmington, Bountiful, Kaysville, Holmes, etc. will help spread us out...be safe out there, have fun, and Guluk....
[signature]
Hope to see you out there one evening soon...I'll be in my "Red Eskimo", and try to be hanging my BFT flag....hard to beat a good perch fry, but I think I actually like a good crappie fry even better....Guluk...
[signature]
I did the night bite thing Friday night from dark to 9:00 pm. The bite was slow and very light. I tried waxies, spikes, corn, and mill worms on my shrimpo like glow jig. I finally got a little success with half a mill worm. I ended up with 3-10 inchers and 1-12incher. A little bigger average than last time I fished there; but a lot fewer fish. As soon as I started jigging the fish moved in around my jig, and I had a fair congregation while I was there, but they seem to think of it more as entertainment than a culinary delight. How did the rest of you fair?
[signature]
Anyone willing to share ice thickness off cemetery point? I’m asking because I want to go play hockey... eh...
[signature]
Bruitus, nice sonar!
I'm thinking about taking the plunge but need a few more 'local' reviews.
Any buyers remorse and who did you buy it from?
[signature]
Too late , the word is out .Every weekend will be a circus now.Fewer crowds on weekdays .The good news is crappie size is up from what we saw last year..Good luck Crappie can be tough to figure out.Happy fishing to y'all😁
[signature]
The ice off North cemetery Friday was 5+ inches where I was at.

Yes I’ll post a review of the Panoptix in a day or two I’m short on time this morning.
[signature]
2 years ago, we killed it. Last year, we didn't do good at all. This year, yet to be determined. [fishon]
[signature]
Ok, I really look forward to it.
The 'non-local' reviews say it is amazing but their lake composition is so much different from ours.
Thanks!
[signature]
Is pineview ice ready for atv's?
Best access is the boat launch, till the plows make a big bank.
[signature]
That was my experience. Last year I saw almost no crappie fishermen, heard few reports, and caught very few myself. The year before was fine; consistently able to find crappies 10-11".

People still gotta find em and catch em.
[signature]
I mean, the word has always been out. People have fished Pineview for crappies at night for years. It's been a known thing to do.

Just some people seem good at it, and most struggle.
[signature]
[reply][/reply]You seem upset that the “know nothing crappie cartel “suppressed and didnt “cop” to the the crappie reports you are entitled to. Call me very old school but to me the satisfaction of hunting and fishing is doing the work to figure it out not the catching or shooting.Awesome year last year i caught limits of big jawbreaker crappie ,so many i quit ice fishing and fly fished the weber river and went chukar hunting.This year is looking like the same already catching catch a big pile of crappie on top of the big pile of perch from echo and on to other adventures.First 2 pics last year,next 2 this year.good luck.
[signature]
Nobody's "upset" and nobody feels entitled, it was just descriptive language. Good for you that you are catching fish. I'm happy for you. Well done. I haven't even been out yet once this year, but when I was, I caught hundreds of crappies every year. Just not last year.

Makes me smirk, though, how night- time fishing for crappies has been a known "thing" to do for at least the 14-15 years I've been on this site. Yet some people throw a pouty fit if anybody mentions that it exists, or that it's "on". Like it's their own little domain, too good for the common rabble, and earned only by the most sincere, most REAL fishermen, the chosen few. Keep your secrets if you want, but I'll tell ya what color jigs they like and what depth to start fishing if you ask me. Helping others makes me happy.

Sure, maybe you are Old School, but I think I am too, at nearly 50 years old. And yes, learning for yourself is a core value in the outdoors, and a correct one, but sometimes to the point of cliche. Nothing wrong with a mentor. Trust me, I'm a guy who hacks out his own primitive wooden bows from common woods, makes arrows from scratch, and kills elk, rabbits and deer with them, I know all about paying my dues. But, that won't have me looking down on you and your rifle or compound bow, saying you don't deserve to share my woods. In fact, if you wanted to try a wooden longbow or Native-style, come on over; the garage light is on.

Old School means helping out the kids and noobies, and the guy who really wants to go catch a few with his boys but hasn't been anywhere since he was in Scouts himself. Or, the dedicated husband with the handicapped kid or sick wife who NEVER gets much time for himself, and works two and a half jobs, and maybe fishes twice a year. How long will it take him to pay his dues and figure it out alone? Did you really pay ALL your own dues, and NOBODY befriended you , mentored you, or ever helped you learn? Old School means passing down traditions, teaching skills, and promoting ethics.

Posting success but refusing to teach or help, or at least point someone in the right direction, is just bragging. I'm grateful to those on this site who are willing to give a little back. That's what communities are about. Aren't we all here to teach and learn and share? What's the point otherwise?

Good luck. Sincerely, many great nights on the ice to you.
[signature]