Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview tips
I've only fished pineview in the mornings, with great success. I've heard a lot of good things on night fishing for crappie. How is the later afternoon and evening bites for both crappie and perch? With the work schedule I'm only free mainly afternoons evenings... any inputs would be greatly appreciated!
[signature]
My "secret" bait for perch was the Berkley Powerbait Floating Trout Worm. They're a booger to thread lengthwise on a jig hook, but they're a perfect representation of a blood worm - and perch cannot resist them. Use about half or about an inch and a half long. Also great for crappie rigged drop shot style about a foot above your jig or spoon.
[signature]
My fishing at Pineview is pretty much confined to afternoons until dark. It gets too cold for me, and I'm not into taking a shelter and using a heater.

My experience has been that the Perch are pretty active all afternoon, and then turn on a little after sundown. They completely shut down for me when it gets really dark.

But it has been the opposite for Crappie. I catch most crappie later in the afternoon, and after sundown. As said before, I don't stay late into the evening or overnight.

Just my experience. Tight lines.
[signature]
That's funny, Rocky, because I tried almost the sme thing with zero success. I dropper-rigged those BPBFTW so they would hang 3"-8", just off the bottom with a heavy little spoon (to jig with) or sinker at the bottom, a panfish or octopus hook, and a short dropper. Never even got a bite in a couple of trips.

Seemed like it would be deadly to me, and it looks like you just told me I put it away too soon.
[signature]
I've lost the crappie, it seems, couldn't find any last year, but only tried a couple of times, because of that sudden abundance of nicer perch. But, before that, it was normal for me to show up around 3 pm and fish until 10pm, or even midnight. Even without a tent, most nights were fine, and I never had sonar, so I had to move to find fish.

I'd often catch a few perch until the sun went down, but I could better spend some time before dark finding the crappie, hiking around to where people were catching them, or away from where there were too many folks. Groups might leave about dark or just after, and you could take over productive holes.

Anyway, once I got a bite or two, I would camp on the area, drill a bunch of holes and mess around until I found the best ones. Hunching over my big Coleman lantern MOSTLY kept me warm, and bigger, fast-sinking glow jigs with perch meat/eyes, or waxies would usually get me a slow limit of the 10-1/2" fish.

I once saw a guy with two big glow-sticks on a string, sunk with a weight near his fishing holes., who swore it made all the difference. I've tried that 3 or 4 times since and couldn't see that it helped much. Like, it wouldn't turn them on if it was already slow, nor did it seem to improve my numbers in any specific hole if they were biting well.
[signature]
The blood worm trick works better over a soft bottom, where the worms normally live. Either side of Cemetery, but not in the Narrows, for example.
[signature]
What one sees a fish spit up are Chironmids insect larvae they aren’t true blood worms but the stages midges go thru. This is what fish will feed on seen it many of times when fish spit up especially ice fishing. It’s really an insect larvae and not a worm as others call it.
[signature]
What hooks and size of hooks are you using for your drop shot hook?[fishon]
[signature]
I'm partial to a long-shank Carlisle hook for that blood worm trick, about a size 6 or 8.

Yes, crappie and perch both eat daphnia, but they also scarf down blood worms.
[signature]
I found this on In-Fisherman, but it depicts a variety of ways to imitate blood worms - which are actually midge larvae. So this rigging should work anywhere there are midges.

[Image: n4O3y2fl.jpg]
[signature]