Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Descending devices
Interesting read:

[url "https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/01/06/374187614/how-anglers-are-learning-to-save-fish-that-get-the-bends"]Link[/url]
[signature]
Same concept as the laker saver on the Gorge. Right Jim?
I believe TubeDude made one to release perch.
[signature]
The Hippa Island Lodge in B.C. where we fish each summer has started placing one of the devices in each boat and we've used them very successfully to return rockfish safely back to depths over 200 feet. Many of the bottom dwellers can be released unharmed if they are quickly returned to depths below about 60 to 70 feet. The device used at the West Coast Resorts lodge uses about a 10 ounce weight on a metal clip that resembles a paperclip. You can just give the line a quick jerk and the clip releases the fish. The B.C. Department of Fisheries and Oceans did some lengthy studies that confirmed the effectiveness of the devices. I used one of the releases about 10 times last summer and it seemed to work every time.

Mike
[signature]
I have one for returning crappie, or other lighter fish back to the bottom and another, homemade one for returning macks. Never had the opportunity to use the one for macks.
[signature]
I knew nothing of this subject so I looked up some sites. Is this what we are talking about? What fish in Utah do we need to do this with? And at what depth does barotrama become a problem?

http://www.seagrant.umn.edu/newsletter/2...water.html
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Yep, that is it. Basically any fish in Utah (other than macks, and perhaps a few others, which can burp off the gas most of the time) may need some help getting back down in water over about 45' or so. Crappies at Pineview caught in deep water can't get back down without some help.
[signature]
The day I went to Bear Lake with you I caught a cutthroat at something deeper than 50 feet. Did that traumatize it? I'm still unclear. As I am beginning to fish in deeper water such as at Fish Lake, etc. I just want to be sure I so the right thing by the fish.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I have noticed that most cutthroat can handle being brought up from deeper depths than many other fish species. You will know if they have a problem because often their eyes will be popping out of their sockets and their stomach will be sticking out of their mouths. These fish are unable to get back down to deeper water without some help. If a fish is able to swim back down to deeper water it should be fine (assuming it hasn't been deep hooked or something similar).
[signature]
Perch and crappie deeper than 25’ seem to have problems and if they don’t go directly back down you need to help them with the devices. Pat got me one of his design at Pineview and it comes in handy quite often. I’ve been on the rock pile at Bear Lake when guys weren’t paying attention to their released fish, cutthroat and Macs, and I seen several floating away that didn’t make it back down. I think if you wear them out too much or take too long releasing them it really reduces their chance to survive. Good ideal to have a defender to help them. Later J
[signature]
[#0000FF]I originally started making and using the descenders for perch, but found them to work well for crappie caught too deep to make it on their own too. I called them perch savers. In the attached pics you can see that you can make them with any size sinkers you might need for the size and type fish you need to send back down.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]The main idea is to keep one tied on a spare rod and when you bring up a sub-size...or just want to release a fish...slip the wire down through the lower jaw, lower the fish into the water and let the weight pull it down to the bottom. A quick jerk on the line releases the fish and then you reel up for the next need.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Some anglers still practice "fizzing"...putting a small hole in the protruding air bladder...or inserting a needle through the side of a puffed up fish...to release air pressure and allow the fish to swim back down under its own power. From interaction with Utah DWR folks and personal experience I can attest that fizzing usually works well with perch but almost never with wimpy crappies.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I am attaching a PDF file of a writeup on fizzing I picked off the Internet. There is a table that shows that crappies have a very high mortality rate when taken from deep water, whereas perch are much lower. Of course, that is without fizzing or using a descender.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Right! I use mine nearly every week, and sometimes several times a week, at the Gorge. Sometimes the macks simply don't release the air on the way up, even when brought up slowly and methodically. Often I see a Kokanee or Rainbow blocking the throat. The device is pictured on my avatar! www.lakersaver.com
[signature]
Pat that one you hooked me up with has worked really well, only problem I’ve had is dedicating a rod to do it. And it’s just because I like to take as many options to fish with as I can without retying in the field. But when I end up fishing deep it’s easy to change a rod over to do it. Rumor has it the cat contest is about 7 weeks out. Later Jeff
[signature]
[#0000FF]I only keep a "dedicated" rod rigged with a descender if I am catching a lot of small perch or crappies. Even then, I sometimes rationalize that there is already an overabundance of the little pests and just release them to fend for themselves. Sometimes they contribute to the local ecology by feeding gulls. Other times they result in a "depth charge" boil as a toothy critter accepts my generosity. When that happens too close to my tube it can be exciting.[/#0000FF]

"Rumor has it the cat contest is about 7 weeks out."

[#0000FF]I won't be doing much practicing. Don't have an auger big enough to launch my tube.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
You could always go down to UL I bet the loys would hook you up, [Wink]

Come ON ICE OFF[cool][cool]
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
Somehow I don’t think you need much practice you have them all well trained. I’m hoping to ice my first cat this winter if the ice treats me right. Not sure how I’ll accomplish it but it’s a goal. So far the deeper areas seem too scary thin for me to go out on and the shallow areas don’t have any fish that I could see in four hours so I’m waiting for more cold I guess Later J
[signature]
[quote MSM1970]You could always go down to UL I bet the loys would hook you up, [Wink]

Come ON ICE OFF[cool][cool][/quote]

[#0000FF]Nope. I joined them on the ice back in 2010. (See attached report) I asked if I could put my tube in one of the big holes they cut in the ice to pull their nets through. They declined. I guess they figured I wouldn't count in their poundage catch so they didn't want me to foul up their carp. I probably wouldn't have enjoyed riding in the truck with all those smelly flopping beasts anyway.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I guess we are just stuck waiting[Sad][Sad]
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]