Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Transducer do I Have?
I have a Vexilar FL18. The Transducer needs to be replaced as the cord has a short. When I go to look them up I can choose the 9, 12, or 19 degree. How can I tell which one I have so I can order the right part?

Maybe a question for TD....but is there a simple explanation out there of the differences between them all?

Thanks
[signature]
[#0000FF]The simplest answer is to decide where and how you will be fishing the most. The shallower the water the greater angle you want on the cone...so that you see more fish. Get the narrowest cone for water over about 20'...and the widest for shallower.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I think I remember hearing that the 20 degree angle cone has a "footprint" of about 1/3 the depth. So at 20 feet you have a circle of about 6 1/2 feet. And it decreases quickly as you get shallower.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I have always liked the dual beam units that allowed you to toggle between two different cone angles. That allows you to fish more effectively over a wider range of depths.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I agree with TubeDude and add my experience with the 8 degree and 20 degree selectable cone angle of my MarCum LX-9.

I enjoyed ice fishing up and down the face of an underwater cliff at Flaming Gorge near Anvil because the fish tend to travel along the face of the cliff.

With the 8 degree cone angle, I get readings down the entire water column to the real bottom and see my lure all the way down. The narrow cone angle makes a difference for when there is side structure to fish past and to get good readings to great depth.

For shallow fishing, I switch to the 20 degree cone angle.
[signature]
Looks like the Vex 18 comes standard with a 12 degree. My wife's FL 8's transducer went bad a year ago so I picked up the Pro View for her and it works well. The Pro View comes standard with the FLX 28 which I also have. Any transducer will work with any Vex model. Go to the Vexilar site and read up on the transducers. They have a new Tri-Beam you may be interested in.
[signature]