Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nice Surprise
I'm trying to shorten my fishing bucket list and I had a small amount of free time tonight. One list item was catching a crappie. I had some tips and pointers passed along by another helpful Bft member today and wanted to test them out. With limited time I decided to hit a local community pond. Got on the ice and was into fish right away, 4-5" bluegill and small rainbows, not what I came for. Decided to move holes, marked fish but no hookups. The emphasised point passed along was watch the bite closely. I slowed down and really watched my line. It paid off and I was rewarded with a couple small crappie. Mission accomplished. Still having a a few more minutes to fish I tried one last hole. Here I found a small school of sunfish, itty bitty, but they were good practice. Now for the surprise. I was putting my gear and saw a good mark on sonar. 2 seconds later the fight was on. It took the hook. Ended up being a small wiper. Fun fight on a noodle rod with 2 lb line. Memorable way to catch my first wiper. All fish were caught with either small pink or green lead head tipped with wax worm, nothin fancy.
[signature]
Nice job finding the fish. How many species do you now have in the Challenge?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I'm not sure. I don't know if I can count fish from community ponds. Seems like cheating. The rules I read just said public waters, so I assume its ok. I sent off a pm asking. Hopefully I'll catch some bigger fish from waters I know are legal so it wouldn't matter.
[signature]