Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Holmes Creek 1/9/19
I was in the Hill AFB area yesterday picking up my Nils ice auger from SkunkedAgain (thanks, Jeff) so I decided to flip over to Holmes Creek in Layton and check it out. WRONG. I didn't realize that it was a Walk-In area only and that it was a relatively long and steep hike down to it. There were a couple of vehicles parked at the top and I could see a lone angler on the far side of the lake. Oh, and if you go, don't forget that you have to have a permit from the DWR in order to access the Walk-In areas. I know that my brother and his party just killed the planter 'bows last year there but I am on a quest to find a good place to catch some bass. Would love it if anyone can help me with that [Smile]. Have rod, will travel.

If you have any info about how best to access it, please post.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

It's also on my list to fish. Let's hit it together. I'll be happy to help get your gear to the water. There's some decent lmb in there
[signature]
Excellent! Been wanting to meet you. Maybe we could hit Maybey while we're at it and I can add to my species list, too [Smile]. Tell me when next week will work. PM me. Oh, and I appreciate the offer of help but I don't want you to think I'm a wimp; I just wasn't prepared to hike in the snow and my wife was with me. Heck, I eat terrain like that for breakfast out in the elk woods [Tongue]. Thanks.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

That walk in access permit is easy to get on the DWR website, no quiz or anything. Just some rules to read.
[signature]
The DWR will ask verification questions on your information, give you a walk-in permit number over the phone, send the same to your email and with-in 10 days you will get a hard copy just like your regular license. All that from just a 5 minute phone call. It allows you to fish any walk-in lake that requires the permit. The permits are good for 6 months and then redo it all over again. Very painless and fast
[signature]
You can also get the WIA on your phone along with your regular license and any hunting permits that do not require you to attach part of the tag to the animal. DWR can scan the app from a barcode on your phone and they tell you right in the app when they expire.
[signature]
Back in the late 70s and 80s that was a great place to fish before the DWR came along and planted slime rockets in it and changed it into a community pond for a few years. I used to catch some beautiful bass, bluegill and crappie with an occasional walleye. never caught a trout out of it in those years. Very few people fishing it in the 70s and early 80s, most of the time just the wife and I plus the kids. Many good memories on that little pond.[Smile]
[signature]
[#0000FF]Me too. I was there during the early (great) years. That was one place you could almost always count on hooking largemouth with a jigged Kastmaster or the right plastic.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Big bluegills, big crappies and occasionally a decent walleye. Haven't fished it since the "downgrade". And I haven't heard of much besides the new stuff coming out of it.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Went through the ice there once...getting too anxious at the first of the season. Fishing with a buddy who was able to haul my ample body back out before I got more than a little water in my boots.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Good to hear some reputable fisherman confirm the word from an old family friend. He is the one that told me about decent largemouth occasionally coming out of there. Catchinon- I got my wia number, check your pm
[signature]
Good that you got the WIA permit. Now tune up your time machine and we'll zip back to the seventies and catch some lunkers[Wink].
[signature]

I did say I heard about it from an OLD family friend. I figure they' ve had enough time to grow to an acceptable size now
[signature]