Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deer Creek
My Son sent me a pic as he was driving to work in Park City, of ONE lone ice fisherman on Deer Creek.
I told him to yell out the window.."HOW THICK?"...but he had already driven by. lol
[signature]
General rule of ice: if you're the only one out there, you probably shouldn't be out there.
[signature]
I can't tell if you meant how thick the ice was or how thick his head was [Wink]. I would love to hear that the ice is thick enough to be safely out on, but I won't believe it until I hear of a solid 4" by actual measurement. I know I saw a patch of open water down toward the dam on Friday. Hope it wasn't that guy who says 2" is plenty.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Is that guy the army corps of ENGINEERS?
[signature]
Yeah, I always wondered about those stats from the Corp. Now I realize that they are for MOVING objects, not stationary ones. I tend to be stationary and have a tendency to jump and down when I catch a nice fish [laugh]; and I have a sled full of fishing gear.

from The Army Corp of Engineers:
Ice Thickness and Strength
for Various Loading Conditions
Every winter it becomes very important to know when the ice is safe to use. Here are some guidelines for determining the safety of freshwater ice. The following table of safe loads is valid ONLY for ice that is clear and sound, with no flowing water underneath. it is not reliable for stationary loads. When in doubt, stay off the ice ! [Emphasis added]
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Alot of current at these lakes? Funny how you became the book of hoyle about safe ice and infer anyone that doesnt abide by your list is reckless.
[signature]
I apologize for what I said that may have offended you. Sometimes I try too hard to be humorous and end up stepping on someone's toes. I'm sure that you are safe in what you do. But I am concerned that others with less experience and skill may attempt to follow your example and get themselves into trouble. I didn't try to set myself up as an expert on ice conditions. I did a lot of research and found many experts recommended 4". So that is what I was going by. I'm just trying to help out. Peace.
[signature]

I saw about 10 people near the island around 1pm yesterday. When I drove back by a few minutes later, a crack spanning the whole width of the lake had formed and looked fairly wide from the highway. I suddenly wasn't regretting taking the ice fishing gear out of the truck that morning. Seems like it was open water less than a week ago.
[signature]
[quote catchinon Sometimes I try too hard to be humorous and end up stepping on someone's toes. .[/quote]

That sounds Like me, so then I think I should not post so much, then I think what I say may help someone, and I like to help.
[signature]
Thanks for helping! Don't be too discouraged by negative responses. There are many others who appreciate you assistance.
[signature]