Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry soft ice locations?
I've heard that there are a few soft ice spots on Strawberry that you need to watch out for when driving your sled across the ice.
Is there some kind of map that anyone has that identifies these soft spots and where to stay away from?
Headed up this week with the snowmobile and don't want any trouble.
Thanks
[signature]
I was up there Friday and Saturday with my snowmobile. The soft spots people are talking about are probably referring to the slush. They are all over the lake but as far as I know are more of a danger of getting stuck in them rather than going through the ice. The only danger area that I'm aware of is the area refereed to as the Big Hole which is on the Hawes Point side of the entrance to Renegade Bay from the main lake. Anyone that knows the lake stays well away from that area. If you go, be prepared for some wet conditions on the ice and especially on the floor of a shelter. Lots of water on top of the ice right now. Not sure why now as apposed to a week ago but that's what I found up there.
[signature]
On the FISH n Map that you buy
It shows where the Submerged Springs are at

in my boat I catch fish where the springs are at
[signature]
Isn't this Big Hole you refer to just north of the old dike? This is by the west shoreline.
[signature]
Good reminders. Thanks for the info guys.
[signature]
I believe your right PACMEN
[signature]
Forgive the thread hijack but...

When I first read the thread title, I thought "Strawberry soft ice cream"
[signature]
Hey I had a friend provide a map for you that will make it a little easier for you to understand the areas that we have seen from years past that get marginal ice... I expect it will be the same way this year... Thanks Matt for the map... Later J

[#00bf00]See below I updated this photo so it didn't take so long to load... Same info just cleaner file... Later J[/#00bf00]
[signature]
That map is accurate with regard to the bad ice areas. The area where the springs are is where the old dike used to be. The old dam is the entrance to the narrows on the strawberry bay side though.
Ok that’s good to know the difference. I’m not a native of that pond so appreciate the clarification. J
[signature]
Another aside, so please forgive me.

I always shake my head at descriptions like:

"Turn left where the oak tree used to be, and then right where the church burned down."

"...where the dike used to be" fits right in.
[signature]
I once stopped and asked for directions up in Cache Valley. The farmer was friendly and proceeded to tell me I was almost there. Just turn at the corner where Fred wrecked his tractor, then half mile past where the deer like to cross the street. On your right- can't miss it.
[signature]
Hey now you're picking on my neighbor... and I may be guilty of such directions as well... Later J
[signature]
Ha ha. Truthfully I don't remember his name. So Fred the Farmer sounded good enough. Maybe it was Jeff? Did you wreck a rusty ol tractor on the corner? Eatin too much squeaky cheese?
[signature]
Nope no tractor wrecks in my neck of the woods, but I’ve been known to give directions from someone’s place that died 30 years ago. Hey here is the map so it pulls up faster. Later J

[inline C68B4F70-9986-47EA-90AA-08AC1FE009EC.jpeg]
[signature]
That map is a great idea. It would not load for me when I clicked on it. May be my problem but wondering if anyone else is having that issue.
[signature]
Nevermind. It's loading now....
[signature]
I believe there used to be a dike at the location that is labeled "Old dam site", but it is a long ways from where the dam was located. There is also a spring in the corner next to that label and that area should be avoided.
[signature]
Yup that's already been mentioned above in the post... J
[signature]
A buddy and I fished the berry on 1/9 and we first stopped right at the spring to fish because we werent quite sure if we could take the sled any further, anyway, there was a blue polaris snowmobile on the shoreline that had been there for a minute as it was covered in snow and there were a couple things on the edge of the open water by the spring so we thought for a minute maybe the fella on the blue sled might be at the bottom of the spring. Im guessing that wasnt the case probably just had a sled with issues so it had to spend the night.
[signature]