Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge locations?
Flaming Gorge has been on our must-fish list for a long time, but recent pictures of piles of lake trout have us wanting to drop everything and race out there. Problem is we don't really have a good concept of where to go. I don't mean which specific spot or anything, just a good access point. What marinas or campground or whatever should we start at? Looks like Buckboard is producing the macks, but we were wondering if there is a good place where we could fish all day for them and all night for burbot. Any help would be appreciated. Also, travel routes would be good to know.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

The title of this thread, and the body of the post don't match.

Fish Lake locations?
Buckboard? Burbot?

Thinking you meant Flaming Gorge. Hope you find what you need.
[signature]
Yeah, I caught that and changed it. Dang brain cramp!
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

The South Buckboard area would work well for you for both of these fish
[signature]
Lots of country for both those species if you went to Buckboard, which would be easy for you to find. You can catch burbot just inside the bay where the marina resides or even on some those outside points with rocky habitat in 10-40 ft of water. For lake trout, venture out into the main channel on points and flats (south or north) and start looking in 50-70 ft of water. If you're not graphing lakers, move to find them. There's a lot up there. We fished across from Buckboard last week, marked fish all day, and had several flurries of feeding activity throughout the day. I did best with a Dry Creek Outfitters 3.5 inch tube in White Lightning, on a 3/8 oz head, tipped with sucker meat. About 50/50 for lakers on the bottom or up at 10-30 ft under the ice.

Good luck, Ryno
[signature]
Thank you all so much for the very specific info. I now feel confident that I could go there and fish effectively. You guys are great.
[signature]