Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3W or 4W Rod?
This year I will have several opportunities to fish smaller streams where the fish are on average 12 inches.
When I first started fly-fishing I was told to buy a 6w, so I did. Over the years I moved to a 5W for my regular UT Weber/Provo rod.

I have no idea weather to select a 3w or a 4w for my new rod to fish the smaller streams (headed to Bend, OR in a few weeks fishing small streams).
And, I don't know how long it should be....6.6, 7ft, 7.5...etc.

Any thoughts?

I am not concerned about price...I just want a nice quality rod.
I've owned Reddington, Sage, and Orvis....and like them all, but generally lean toward Sage.

Thanks
[signature]
Fly rods are very personal, and honestly most people can't tell the difference between a 3 weight and a 4 weight if you blindfolded them. I like 7 1/2 to 8 footers myself, and I often put a 3 wt. line on some of my four weights and a 4wt. line on some of my three weights. It just depends on what feels good that day. There are no rules. Since you have a 5, buy a 3. You will feel the difference between those two.
[signature]
Sounds fun! I'd go 3wt 7.5 foot. It'll be a nice addition to your collection and a fun ride to even use for some middle sized streams that have a few mid sized fish. Good luck!
[signature]
Defiantly 3wt if you like drys or small nymphs, easy to put small drys spot on with it, if you like streamers or bigger flys go 4 wt, caught many fish over 20 on my 3 wt. just make sure its good quality rod, I have a 6 ft and 8 1/2 depending on the water,
I started with a 5 wt, it feels like a telephone pole now.

But it is a personal preference. the biggest thing on a fly rod is get a good one, remember they are fly rods not fishing poles.
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
I use a 7 1/2 ft 3wt for small streams.
[signature]
I also have a 7.5' 3 wt. that is a blast on smaller streams. My primary floating rod is a 8.5 4wt. I went from a 5wt to a 4wt years ago and have never gone back. I've caught fish upwards of 28" on my 4wt with no problems. A quality reel makes all the difference as well. I then have a 9' 6wt for my intermediate/sinking rod.
[signature]
As mentioned go down to the 3 wt. The 4 wt is too similar to the 5. It is also way overkill on trout under 16 inches. Plus if you ever nymph a heavier rod gives up so much of the critical sensitivity. As long as the action is similar to rods you currently cast well most rods 6 feet and over take relatively little to adjust your casting stroke. Most of these smaller rods will be faster action so if you’re not used to that it can take a more than a cast or two to be accurate.
I like Sage rods a lot but if you’re looking at new rods I’m not sure the have that much to choose from currently. The Dart 6’6” 3 wt probably would be a good bet. However it’s $700 not a particularly good value. I’d suggest the Orvis Superfine Carbon as more choices and a far better value even if not particularly inexpensive at $425. I haven’t fished any Remington rods in over a decade partially because all my new trout rods went light and short. If you’re looking for used rods in this category I have plenty🙈- ok make that too many and could be coaxed to sell one.
[signature]
3 weight by all means.

I have a 7 foot Redington Butterstick that is my new favorite small stream rod.
[signature]
Does the Butterstick only come in glass? That’s a whole new variable if you’re not used to it. I think medium action light rods are fine compared to the typical faster action light rods. Just don’t know if I’d really want a slow action rod for my go to small stream rod.
[signature]
Just like everyone else, I would go with a 7.5, 3W. When I was faced with this same decision I decided to try making my own rod. One of the most rewarding things I have ever done. Hands down my favorite type of fly fishing is smaller creeks with my personal rod and hand tied flies.

SBW
[signature]
Yes, only glass. It is admittedly an acquired taste and maybe my favorite because it is my newest Smile Plenty fast enough to throw a nice tight loop 30-40 feet, which is more than enough for the small stream I fish. Not great if I wanted to throw a couple beadhead nymphs...
[signature]
As much as I like fishing dries it’s just hard to leave so many fish untouched if it’s not productive. I won’t hesitate to pull out and BH nymph. And there are some extremely productive streams that 90% of the time you’ll do lousy if you don’t nymph. Diamond Fork and 6th Water come to mind. Some of my most productive days in Utah with big fish in the mix was throwing size 10 tungsten BH Prince nymphs with my 7.5 ft 3 wt Orvis TLS. That 1.5 ounce rod had enough backbone for those nymphs and I routinely battled 20- 26 inch browns and occasional fat football shaped rainbows in the 3-5 lb range. Even in the rapid water in the middle of 6 Dub it usually would put the brakes on the lunkers before they escaped down some rapids and an additional 5 minute battle. Unfortunately one day hiking out and broke my finger and the rod. The finger healed fine but Orvis replacement was a 8.5 ft 3 wt that was all but useless in the narrow canyons of 6 Dub. Replaced it with a Sage 7.5 4 wt but still miss that Orvis rod today.
[signature]