Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge and off road vehicles.
I have done the burbot bash or burbot classic each of the last 4 years, and have often been filled with envy as I watch people cruise around on the ice on their ATV's or quads while I am hauling my gear on foot up to 3 miles. Well, this year I have access to a RZR, but I don't want to be a casualty or sink the machine as happens periodically.

I guess my questions are two fold. The RZR has stickers for Utah and Colorado, would I need to pay to get some stickers for Wyoming, and if so where would be the easiest place to do that if I am driving up through Vernal?

Second question, how far south on the lake would the ice be safe for a quad currently? I may not mess with it or take the risk if the areas I want to fish are not safe, and I usually fish from Buckboard south to even around Middle Marsh creek.

I guess a third question, how are the pressure ridges currently? It would be nice to be able to cross the lake, but I won't risk pressure ridges in the machine at all, not worth it.

Weather I take the machine or not, I am excited to actually have a year better than last year, where the winners won by fishing from a boat. So little ice last year made it rough.
[signature]
10 in or more with a side by sid and your gear. I will go on 8in if its black ice . As far as the sticker you can get them at maverick in evenston or ace in green river. I drill as i go when no trail can be seen and i park it on shore if i can just to be safe. I do tie a flotation device to 550 cord roled and tied with one pice of thread so the cord can brake free just in case. And i recommend taking the doors off but thats me. Plan for the worst hope for the best. And good luck iam headed up for the weekend and I will post when i get back on ice conditions.
[signature]
Last Friday we had 4.5” on the main body at south buckboard. The guys I went with are fishing in the Burbot bash and expect around 8” of ice by then. But they are running lighter machines so hopefully you’ll have enough but I don’t know if you will much further south. I know further north is reporting more ice but sounds like you want to fish south. Good luck. J
[signature]
I see you are meaning on-the-ice vehicles and my car is not that (unless thick ice in another state), but from seeing off-road trails from jig fishing in the summer (see picture of one example) I'm intrigued by the idea that I can use the trails in winter to get close to ice fishing destinations. From there and probably combined with car camping, I can walk out on the ice and set up. I haven't tried it yet and hear mixed messages of some trails closed in the winter and others not closed.
[signature]
You actually need one and can purchase the permit online or find where to purchase one at this site http://wyoparks.state.wy.us/index.php/or...its-trails.

Ice around Brinegar Ferry Crossing, across from Upper Marsh, was 5-6 inches a few days ago. Anvil or even Middle Marsh had open water only a week ago, so there’s variable ice thickness. Ice near the Confluence is around 11-inches, based on other reports. There’s always pressure ridges, and new ones can form anytime, so just keep a look out no matter where you go on the Gorge.

Good luck and be safe out there, Ryno
[signature]
The gorge is à different lake, if you see an old crack in the morning it can be open lake on your way back!!! Everyone please use a life jacket.
[signature]
[quote bigfish6]The gorge is a different lake, if you see an old crack in the morning it can be open lake on your way back!!! Everyone please use a life jacket.[/quote]

Interesting situation. Imagine sitting in your ice fishing tent watching the fish swim around near the underwater cliff edge on the screen for your underwater camera like I was doing last season. Then imagine seeing the structure drift away and thinking how that is possible. (Just imagining this indicator of something interesting happing.) The entire ice you're on is drifting out into the middle of the lake! That creates an excellent polar plunge swimming oppoturnity. I suppose you can put your clothing and equipment in the sled and pull it along as you swim to shore.

Related:

Tarponjim posted: "... Wind is howling, so it broke up the ice that was on the lake. ..."
http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...d;#1060029

Still, Flaming Gorge is my ice fishing destination. What could go wrong?
[signature]