Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pelican
i heared from a good source that pelican was doing good this winter. any body head up that way? hear the bluegill are just as good through the ice as they are through the soft water, can any body add some testimony to that saying?
[signature]
A buddy of mine told me just the other week they were doing well up at pelican. I was cow elk hunting up that way last year and stopped by and the water was extremely low. I was concerned they may have lost it. I hope there are some deep holes for the fish to fall back into. I don't know I'm not real familiar with pelican although the times I've been up in a flat bottom boat I had a great time. If you go up there let us know how you did. Hopefully the ice will still be good.
[signature]
I fished it for two hours in mid-Jan and got skunked.
[signature]
How deep was the water? I was concerned about the fishery there, hopefully there will cover for the fry to go into after they hatch.
[signature]
My friend brandon got out of the hospital today, so he went fishing. Go figure. He actually went to pelican. Said he did good over in the lake by the pump house. Around 25 blues, 10 bass. I have no clue what he uses.
[signature]
I have been out to pelican 3 times this winter. I caught fish on only on one trip. The first trip was shortly after first ice. We were there for around 8 hrs and only had 1 bite. The second trip was about a mouth ago and the bluegil fishing was red hot near the cattail island by the highway. I caught 30 big bluegills in a hour and a half. I was out there last sunday morning 2hrs and I was skunked. I moved around looking for the gills but came up with 0. Pelican is filling up nicely. I have not caught any bass through the ice this year.

[Wink]Tincanfsh
[signature]
sounds like you did well.
[signature]
What's up with the worms and grubs in those fish. Should they be discarded?Do the Bass have them too? We have been taking a bunch of kids up there every year to camp and fish because the catching is very kid friendly. We spend saturday at Starvation trying to get some Walleye for dinner then camp at pelican and let the kids catch blue gil till there fingers are sore from reeling them in on Sunday. It has been a blast but we don't keep any.
[signature]
The worms are called "yellow grubs." They are found in the bass too, but not to the extent of the numbers in the bluegills. They won't hurt you as long as you cook them. A while back (almost a year ago) someone posted a great link that explained all of this. I can't remember who it was (maybe Kayote?)...but it was a great website.
[signature]
They(the worm or grubs)won't hurt you if you do eat them or the meat they infected. I just cut the part's they infected off. The last trip I caught fish on I kept 8 bluegill's and only had one fillet with worm's. I threw that fillet away and ate the rest. The bass all so have them. Check out some of the other Pelican post's.

[Wink]Tincanfsh
[signature]
Them grubs are in most blue gill and bass populations around the state. I'd just eat them myself. Just think-every time that you eat halibut from the store or a resterant, your eating 10 times more parasites than any bluegill could ever have.
[signature]
[url "http://www.udwrfes.org/yellow_grubs.htm"]http://www.udwrfes.org/yellow_grubs.htm[/url]
[signature]
Umm, Halibut. It's been a long time since I ate any halibut, I mostly eat fish I have caught. I'm surre there are many parasites in the things we eat but when they are that big and prevelent then I;ll pass.
[signature]

I got this several years ago from [url "http://www.udwrfes.org/yellow_grubs.html"]www.udwrfes.org/yellow_grubs.html[/url] - think.

Leaky [font "Comic Sans MS, Arial, Helvetica"]

[url "http://www.udwrfes.org/"][#0000ff]Home[/#0000ff][/url] [/font] [font "Comic Sans MS, Arial, Helvetica"][font "Arial"][size 5] [center]YELLOW GRUBS AT PELICAN LAKE[/center][/size][/font][font "Arial"][size 4]

Anglers sometimes call to inquire about the appearance of yellowish cysts they notice in the muscle of fish caught at Pelican Lake and a few other waters in Utah. These cysts are the intermediate stage of a trematode parasite called Clinostomum complanatum, more commonly known as “yellow grub”. Aquatic snails act as the first host of the parasite. Many species of fish or amphibians can serve as the secondary host. Bluegill and largemouth bass at Pelican Lake are the species commonly observed with the problem. Aquatic birds such as herons, bitterns and gulls act at the final host for the adult parasite.[Image: yellow1.jpg]

The parasite can cause localized tissue damage to the muscle or internal organs of the fish, but are not life threatening if present in low to moderate numbers. The parasite is often noted more in the spring to early summer, after which their numbers decline. [left]Yellow grubs can be treated in hatchery fish, but fortunately, none of Utah’s State hatcheries have this parasite. There is no effective way to remove yellow grub from wild fish in a lake or stream.[/left]

Although infected fish may not appear appetizing, there is no reason not to keep an infected fish for human consumption. With careful trimming of affected areas and normal cooking procedures, the fish can provide a safe and delicious meal.[/size][/font] [/font]