Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport 1/20
Had a great day at Rockport. We fished on the west side of the lake. Parked at the pull off next to the bathroom and fee station. Made our way out about a third across the lake. Someone was checking that cars paid the fee. It was slushy just after the shore but everywhere was solid. Probably about twelve inches of ice. We caught somewhere around 30 keeper perch at about 45 fow. Stopped counted after a while! Snagged a few planter rainbows too. It wasn’t very busy out there either. Good luck to everyone.
Nice report, that is the best report on perch being caught at RP that I have read this Winter. How long was your biggest perch?
[signature]
I didn’t have a measuring tape, but about ten inches if I had to guess.
[signature]
Didn't do quite that well, and it took us from about 8 am until the sun went down, but two of us caught maybe 25 perch and a couple 11-12" trout.

We fished north of the boat ramp a couple hundred yards, struck out for several hours (except for the trout and one tiny perch) in 25-35 feet of water, moving around and sharing info with others. Some people catching a few, most not doing too well. I could see a few fish on the bottom with my new cheapo sonar, but nada.

Eventually, about 2:30 pm, we randomly drilled a hole on our way back, and hit a feeding school at 22'. Great action, lots of bites both hard and subtle for the next couple hours. They hit all kinds of stuff, from small teardrop jigs to some Hali-types, a silver CastMaster, and some bigger jigs, tipped with waxies, perch, and angleworms.
[signature]
My son and I were there on Sunday 1/20. We were on the ice a 7am and from 7am until 8am it was one bite after another. This was my son's, 24, first time on the ice since he was 6. And he was missing a lot of fish but we managed to ice 4 and lose a few others right at the hole. Then it just died and we left at about 10:30. We were closer to the dam and in about 25 ft of water. We don't have a sonar but when they were biting they were biting at any depth we put the lures at, from the bottom to about 5 ft under the ice. Great day. Gonna try this Saturday again, maybe go even earlier.
[signature]