Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big events at Bear lake this Sat the 26th
For those of you that have been up to Bear lake for the Cisco Disco in the past, this weekend might be of interest to you, lot of events and Giveaways for those of you that want to give it a try. Here is a link to all the activities after the Disco.

https://bearlakemonsterwinterfest.com/
[signature]
Is it possible to get you limit of Cisco when there isn't any ice?

I have heard some interesting stories over the years and I'm not looking to go for a swim. Lol
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
Any ice on big blue yet ?
[signature]
Pack it in
PACK IT OUT ! 
We fished bear lake this past weekend and the entire lake was wide open. No signs of any ice and wind was howling Monday so I’m sure it’s still looking pretty clear. You can launch a boat out of the state park very easily and the ramp was in great shape. Some boats were going after Cisco on the pile on Sunday and bringing up a few so yes you can get Cisco without dipping them through the ice. You can also hope for calm water and stand in the water with your waders and net
Yes it's very possible, but if it's windy its not very easy. I like jigging them myself, so if you have a boat go out off the beach into about 10 FOW and they tend to stage there and you can snag them one at a time... much more fun than netting and being done in a half hour.. You can also snag them off the rock pile and pick up nice cutties while you're at it... But if no boat, then the wader and netting can be done, but best if you do it in pairs and have one guy jig a big swim bait or lure to attract the fish in and the other guy nets them... We found taking the hook off is a good so you don't get snagged in the net too much... BTW weather report shows the lowest wind of the week is on Saturday so maybe we will be able to do it this year with out 4' waves... Not like ice but the next best situation so it looks good for the disco this year... Later J
[signature]
Sure you can but every year is different. In years when they are in thick, you can get your limit of 30 in one or two scoops. Some years it is a lot harder and takes way more time, in the best years there is at least some ice along the shore, the cisco don't seem a wary when there is ice and they will swim right up into your net. If there is no ice, the best thing is to get down as low as you can along the shore, you don't have to even get into the water but when I do get into the water I rarely go in more than a feet or two deep. You do have to be careful but the water is very clear so it is easy to see where you are walking.
With all the other events that are going on that day, there are lots of things to do, so it will be a fun day for the whole family.
[signature]
From the reports I've been reading there is no ice this year.[Sad]
[signature]
Thanks for the info Tom, were targeting cisco? If so how did you do? Did you notice anyone dip netting them around the marina?
[signature]
Does jigging for them have to be at the crack of dawn too?

I work till 2 A.M. Saturday morning and being over there at sun up will leave me so bleary eyed I don't know if I could see when they are over the net.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
We were not targeting Cisco but did happen to snag a couple out a little deeper. There were two guys at the marina looking for Cisco in shallow but they told us they were not seeing them yet
Hey sorry I did my usual long winded answer and the computer didn't get it entered on the site, so I'll try and keep it shorter... For dip netting be there early (first light) is best, for jigging you have a longer window. I've jigged them up through 1:00 PM when I was leaving for the day, but earlier is better, usually 8:00 to 10:00 AM is a good window with schools coming through fairly often, as it gets later, its longer between when the fish come through. Of course every day and year will be different, but that's a general time that has treated me well over a lot of trips... Haven't looked at wind report yet, but time your wind to the calmer hours and you'll do better... Good luck and don't push things so you fall asleep in the canyon... better to miss a couple stinky fish and live to catch them another day... You'll get enough later to make the trip worth while and might get the cutts also... Good luck... Jeff
[signature]