Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sanibel/Boca Grande Tarpon and Marlin in Cabo
Long time no post. I moved to Nashville last year and miss ice fishing already. Without the ice fishing availability during the winter in Nashville, I headed to Cabo this month for marlin with the family. We ended up with five (photo of one attached). It was a fun trip.

I am also looking for guide information for any of you that have fished southwest Florida ( Sanibel Island area, Boca Grande, Cayo Costa, Captiva) in Florida. I'm planning a trip out near Sanibel Island in May/June this year and was wondering if anyone has any tips on guides? Looking to spend two days going for Tarpon around that area, and a third day for something else, maybe goliath grouper in another location if that area isn't good for them. But I'm open to other ideas for the third day of fishing and areas. I'll be staying in North Naples and will have a car. I'd prefer to not drive hours to a fishing location, but I'll do what I gotta do. I'm open to ideas if anyone has them.

Tight lines everyone.
[signature]
If you don’t mind heading south Everglades City and Chokoloskee are about the same drive as the destinations you mentioned. Captain Wright at Chokoloskee Charters has helped me out in all sorts of needs on various trips. http://www.chokoloskeecharters.com/home.htm
I’d spend at least 1 day with them in 10,000 Islands or further offshore.
[signature]
I’m with riverdog on this one, Boca is going to be packed!! Contact Joe Cassaro “Joe Snook” and fish out of port of the islands marina, there are big tarpon and he’ll put you on them. Also you may just want to take that last day and walk the beaches of Sanibel for some big snook in the beach. You’ll be amazed at the size of the fish in inches of water!!
[signature]
Living in Nashville..........if you get the chance this summer to go to Douglas Lake near Knoxville, and you have a boat, there can be some lunker Bass caught out of that place.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Looks like Joe Snook uses a marina in Goodland. Sort of forgot about it. Even closer drive and Goodland has character. It’s just on the edge of 10,000 Islands. Also a relaxing place to have comfort seafood outside by the water. If you’re not familiar with the area skip Marco Island completely. It has all the character of Cleveland.
If you have never experienced Florida Cracker comfort food, try out Cracklings Jacks - I think it technically in Naples just the southern part. Be warned you’ll have some serious calories to burn off afterwards. Good Luck with your trip.
[signature]
Thanks everyone for the info!
[signature]
Good Luck. Let us know how you do.. If you get the bug to fish big tarpon you can find them a fair bit closer in the Panhandle. Unlike Cape Sable and into 10,000 Islands where they’re around even in the winter they don’t show up until August typically. Not uncommon to sees hundred of 6 footers. St George Island is a beautiful spot away from the crowds of Destin and the rest of the Redneck Riveria. It’s got some of the best Tarpon fishing of all of the Panhandle. An easy day’s drive from Nashville.
[signature]