Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview early
Decided to hit Pineview this morning since I haven't been up there since the perch crashed over 10 years ago. Arrived at 6:45 at Cemetery Point and walked out to the north of the parking lot. I met 1 guy coming off the ice who had been out most of the night after crappie. He hadn't had any luck at all with that or anything else. I fished in 21, 32 and 41 feet of water with ratfinkies and jigs tipped with meal worms or perch meat. I was hoping to find some worthwhile perch but didn't catch anything over 8 inches. The bite was barely noticeable, even with a wire strike indicator, and I missed one after another, but no big deal since they were all really small. My friend from work showed up fairly early and he had the same luck as I. There were 4 other groups by the time I left (around 12:30) and they all were seeing the same thing. Ice was about 10 inches where I drilled and solid on top. So it ended up being a nice day on the ice and I didn't have to fillet a bunch of fish afterward.
[signature]
We had the same experience last night. I was beginning to think that I didn't know how to set a hook, but it's pretty hard to do when they are just lipping the end of your waxworm.

I like your attitude about not having to deal with all the fish you didn't catch. My friend's glasses took a nose dive down the hole last and he kept finding advantages to not having glasses: he didn't have to wipe fog off them, he could see close without having to stop and remove them, they didn't get splashed on, etc. As I like to say: It's an adventure.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.