Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lost Creek 1-26-2019 Fool me once...
You know the saying! I should have taken my hot Lost Creek day on 1/12/2019 and ran! The last two times I have been there have not measured up. This was definitely my last time there this season.

Where: Lost Creek Reservoir
Fished the west side
When: 01-26-2019 7:30 AM - 2:00 PM

Fish Caught: 6 total - all released.

We fished in 40-50' FOW all the way up to the top. We caught a mix of slot rainbows and cutthroat. We marked a lot of fish on the fish finder through all the water column, but the action was very slow. We caught our last fish about 10:00 AM and barely had a bite (like 1 bite) after that.

Baits/Lures: Everything I had in my tackle boxes; various sizes and colors of tube jigs, spoons, floating jigs, maribu jigs.

Ice Condition: Solid Ice (10") There was a frozen crust layer on top of some slush. Mostly solid.
I took my snowmobile. That in itself made the trip worth it. The last two times I was on foot. Loved having a snowmobile on the ice.

Weather: Beautiful and sunny, ~30's with a little or no wind.

Sooooo much company on the ice. The parking lot was full from 7:00 AM onward. Had a hard time getting on the ice with the snowmobile due to all the trucks. Thanks to Trevor for guiding me and my snowmobile through a skinny lane from the parking lot to the trail. I had great company with my 10 YO son and 17 YO daughter. She caught a fat cutthroat that had a 1/2 swallowed fish in its mouth. It looked like the half swallowed fish had been in there for a while! How did it managed to strike her jig???
[signature]
What a cool picture! Those cutts can be chub eating machines. Too bad the fishing wasn't better. Thanks for the update.
[signature]
Great picture == it's amazing how glutinous some fish can be, or maybe they're just striking out of their predatory nature, irregardless of what's already in their mouth....this past Thurs. I had the same thing happen with a nicer 10" perch I iced....the back 2" of a half-swallowed, unidentifiable smaller fish was hanging out of it's mouth, and I wondered, too, how it could still be going for more..
[signature]
[quote Jmorfish] I had the same thing happen with a nicer 10" perch I iced....the back 2" of a half-swallowed, unidentifiable smaller fish was hanging out of it's mouth, and I wondered, too, how it could still be going for more..[/quote]

[#0000FF]I have caught quite a few fish over the years that have large food items still in their mouths...or only partially down their gullets. And they usually hit something relatively smaller. My philosophy is that they are simply following the advice of their fish dentists...to floss after every meal.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Yep, or maybe just a little bite for desert...
[signature]
Great report!
I made the trip on the 26th too.
The parking lot was nuts!
I was solo and didn't feel comfortable leaving all my stuff at the top while I parked way down the road.
I left and went to Sulpher Creek in Evanston and fished.
Long drive for some small rainbows, but any fishing is good fishing.
[signature]
I have been tempted to try and hit Sulpher Creek, WY. There was a post a while back saying there are plenty of Walleyes there. You didn't mention them in your reply to my post, but any chance you got on to any of them?
[signature]
I was told about the Walleye and was hoping to land a few, but no.
I did, however, find the spots where the locals get into them. Got that info why they were pulling me out of 3 feet of snow at 10 o'clock at night.
Good people! If they're reading.....I owe ya big time!
Anyway, if you go up anytime soon, let me know and I'll share the info.
[signature]