Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about LE deer tag
I've been putting in for LE deer bonus points for 15 yrs and this year I'm going to cash in on that LE deer permit, I hope. My question is, what do you all think would be the best unit to apply in, for a chance to get at deer up to 30". I know there are places down South and in the Book Cliffs area but what about closer to Northern Ut? Any ideas? I know Deseret with be a good place to put in for but thought having a few more locations, might be a good idea.
[signature]
Only 15, it will be tough for henrys ,pansugaunt, book cliffs or lasal will be about maxed ponts, Ive seen some decent ones come off of vernon and oak creek, good luck, I would imagine you have looked at the odds of different areas.
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
PM sent
[signature]
Thanks, not sure where oak creek is located, is it a CWMU? I see an Oak ranch in Sevier county. Henrys, pansugaunt, & the book cliffs are a little too far for me. I guess Vernon is pretty close.
[signature]
oak creek is to the west of yuba, with your points, vernon would probaly be your best bet, there is a lot of atv access plus a place to fish,
Im up to 18 points waiting for Henrys ML someday.
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
Diamond mountain (East of Vernal) has some big bucks - I can provide details if needed - we hunted archery during the morning and evening and fished in Caulder in between - fun hunt.
[signature]
Curt if you don't mind the cold 15 pts would get you the Crawford muzzy tag. Nov 16- Dec 1 . I have been on that hunt a few times and have seen some dandy bucks.
[signature]
Thanks Jamie, what is the biggest buck you have seen or heard come out of the Crawfords?
[signature]
Thanks Craig, I'll likely be doing a rifle hunt but what is the biggest deer you have seen or heard about being taken in the Diamond mountain unit?
[signature]
So is Oak creek around Oak City or farther West? Is it Oak creek or Vernon that has atv access plus a place to fish?
Good luck on your Henry's ML draw.
[signature]
The Oak Creek unit is East of Oak City.

Its offical name is Fillmore Oak Creek. Then you will want the boundry for the limited entry unit.

Below is a screen shoth of the unit.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
OK, Thanks much that info helps a lot, no wonder I did not see it.
[signature]
Oak Creek is between Yuba and Oak City, atv friendly, Vernon, its just north of the the sand dunes, a lot of atv trails, camp right at Vernon res,
Good luck on yours.
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
Thanks for the info.
[signature]
Late Muzzy hunts are your best odds up here north for do it yourself hunt, I second the crawfords or if you can get on some good private ground in the ogden or Chalk creek November Muzzy hunts.
30" bucks are like catchin 30" trout here in N. Utah.
[signature]
I realize that big deer like that are rare but that's my goal, I'm sure I'd take a smaller deer if the chance arose but I like to hold out for at least a 28" buck. What is the largest deer you have seen taken in the Crawfords? Is it just rolling sagebrush hills or is there also mountainous pine covered slopes too?
[signature]
Seen quite a few 5 point 28" bucks that were pretty easy shots - this was three years ago - if ya like I can show where you we hunted and saw a few hundred deer and they were pretty much in the same area that was an easy hunt - funny I left my wife in the truck and went up on the hill and a big buck came within 10 yards of the truck with several other deer. That's how my luck was - I did get to draw on two huge bucks but couldn't close the deal - one the arrow hit a branch and the other I shot over him. Good Luck where ever you choose.
[signature]
PM sent
[signature]
these few bucks i personally seen(got 1) last year VERY close to the crawford border.
Im guessing the widest one goes 28" but these were the best out of alot of sightings.

O and yes, it is mostly antelope/sagebrush country, and few deer in the summer but the deer move in for the rut/winter/migrate so as far as summer scouting and such it is basically not needed unless you have some farm field access.
[signature]
OK, thanks. How wide is the one you got?
[signature]