Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phenomenal, Fantastic, Tremendous, Incredible day at Starvation
The weather that is, there weren't any fish to be found all day. A friend and I fished the Rabbit Gulch area starting around 0800 and we tried 4 spots until 1500. We each had a couple of hits from unknown species and I only saw a few fish on my Showdown.

We used my snowmobile and we went first to the end of the point where Rabbit Gulch opens to the main channel. We fished in water from 32 to 45 feet trying to target some perch or walleye. Just one feeble hit from a fish that had no ambition.

We moved over near the islands across from the access point. We put in about 2 hours trying the 23 to 28 foot water and again, no takers. We were using various jigs tipped with perch meat, meal worms or a piece of nightcrawler. I even tried some of TD's somewhat famous "Stank" bait perch pieces marinated in crawfish Smelly Jelly. All I got was stinky fingers.

Our last spot was toward the back of Rabbit Gulch in 14 feet of water. One hour at this spot produced no hits and I didn't see a fish pass through the Showdown's cone.

It was a beautiful day with sunny skies and NO wind. The temperature probably got to about 28 or 30 and it was nice to be out even if the fish didn't want to play. There is some slush in various areas of Rabbit Gulch but it didn't really cause any problems with the snowmobile. I think travel in the slushy areas on an ATV would be difficult if not impossible. Many of the slushy areas had refrozen recently but other pockets remained soft and you could feel liquid water just under the surface of the snow. The ice itself was very solid and I measured at least 10 to 11 inches in all the areas we fished.

My last trip to the Knight Hollow area produced quite a few fish although most were 12 to 14 inch Rainbows. It could be better there because of the fresh water coming in from the canal and adding oxygen to the reservoir. It's possible the water temperatures in Knight Hollow are more attractive to the fish.

Our next trip to Starvation will depend on hearing some reports of actual fish being caught.

We got skunked and I don't even have a sunset photo to post. I did get a photo of Venus and the Moon this morning when I picked up my fishing partner for the day.

Mike
[signature]
Wow, that sounds like a tough day (other than the weather).
[signature]
Starvy--not what it used to be. What's up with that? Living up to its name I suppose, unfortunately. SAD!! At least you got out on a nice day but you earned it with the drive.
[signature]
Excellent report, Mike. Unfortunately the trend continues.
[signature]
Ditto on the downer Starv report. Buddy & I were also there yesterday, only at the Bridge, south side. Not even a bite, and I swiss-cheezed two football fields from 9:30-noon. Ironic thing is, two weeks ago 4 of us yanked 80 jumbos (10-13")
in the same place, doing the same thing over 46-51'. Couldn't ask for better ice conditions --- a solid 9", with a compressed 3" of safe walking snow atop. Not an ounce of slush to be found, but that path up the hill to the parking lot is more mud than snow, which made for difficult sledding.
[signature]
What a rough lake, these days!

To be fair, management of the lake has changed and some new species are present. It likely has changed the entire dynamic of the lake, so it's up to us to relearn what works!

Also, it may take another year or two for the lake to settle into its new inhabitants.

Oh well, better luck next time!
[signature]
Besides Kokanee what new species are present?
[signature]
Black crappie
[signature]
I fished it a few weeks ago and managed to catch 2 ugly looking planter bows just under the ice. Nothing else to be found.. When they stocked the crappie, i caught a rainbow stuffed with about 20 of them, doubt many made it. That rainbow was around 20 and thought it would have the dark red meat the stravation fish usually have. It was mushy white meat and wasnt even edible. Fishing there has been really bad for me and not worth the drive anymore.
[signature]