Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DWR pike tracking
[url "https://www.facebook.com/utahlakecommission/"]https://www.facebook.com/utahlakecommission/[/url]

The post comes from DWR, talking about some tagged pike they are tracking in Utah Lake. We're trying to help them spread the word.

[#0000FF]Utah Lake Commission wanted me to post this link to a DWR post on Facebook.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Maybe they should hire a fish whisperer. Strange that they don't request that if one catches a tagged pike that they wouldn't be interested in having the angler write down the tag number and report where it was caught. Surely, they don't have the ability to follow them electronically.
[signature]
[quote kentofnsl]Maybe they should hire a fish whisperer. Strange that they don't request that if one catches a tagged pike that they wouldn't be interested in having the angler write down the tag number and report where it was caught. Surely, they don't have the ability to follow them electronically.[/quote]

I believe they do. They do it with pelicans too.

A few northern pike in Utah Lake have [red]implanted tracking tags[/red]. These pike are marked with an external, visible FLOY tag (pictured) near the backbone of the fish. If you catch one of these pike, please release the fish. The data collected from these tags will help us identify spawning locations in the lake so we can develop improved control strategies.
All pike without visible FLOY tags must be killed immediately.

[red]⫸[/red][orange]<{[/orange][yellow]{{[/yellow][green]{[/green][size 4][green]⦇[/green][/size][blue]°>[/blue]
[signature]
What I have read is a catch and kill nothing more
[signature]
Interesting. Thanks for the info. Are pike becoming more of a common catch there or are they still pretty limited?
[signature]
[#0000FF]Pike were much more common after 2014. (See the attached DWR report)
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]An occasional pike had been caught in the lake over the years...and it has been claimed by some that they were actually planted by DWR at some time in the past. But they only really began to show up in any numbers around 2012...coinciding with a big explosion of pike in Yuba. It is highly likely that a few of those toothy buggers hitched a ride to Utah Lake in anglers' livewells.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Through a concentrated effort by DWR to find and eradicate pike...and a mandatory kill regulation for any pike caught...their numbers seem to have dropped a bit. But a few are still caught each year. I suspect that with all of the other predators in the lake, lack of structure and other pike-type habitat and the mandatory keep and kill rules pike have a tough time getting an upper hand in Utah Lake.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]They may never be completely eradicated but I doubt they will be a significant problem to the June suckers...or other species. Walleye, white bass and catfish are already problem sucker munchers. The relatively low population of pike is not likely to become a major issue with the Junies. At least DWR hopes not and is doing all it can to eradicate them completely. Good luck with that.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks for the info, much appreciated! There is great info in the report.
[signature]
[#0000FF]You are welcome. Here is some more light reading if you need it...from my CD/book on Utah Lake Fishing.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I know its off track but...

I was thinking back and could not remember seeing any water skiing on any of the lakes or rivers I have been on..
And only place I have seen a Jet-Ski is on the Sea jumping the waves..
[signature]
[#0000FF]Y'know, I have fished a lot of Oregon waters too. And I can't remember seeing anything besides fishermen.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Maybe it is because Utah is more of a desert state and people here have an unnatural fixation on water. It was the same way in Arizona...and Nevada. Maybe it's the heat and dryness that messes up people's minds and they gotta play with water toys instead of fishing.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]It was the same as Oregon in Louisiana, while I was working and living there. Lots of fisherfolk but almost nobody played in the water. But down there they got lots of nasty snakes and gators.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I gotta check. Maybe there is a bounty on power squadron folks over there...like for pikeminnows. If there ain't there should be. Here too.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I will donate your cause[Smile]

or reward[Wink]
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
Yes and it sure makes fishing even better..
[signature]