Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Burning Question About Lake Powell Stripers???
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I was wondering if anyone on this message board knows what the two very best times of the year are to catch Lake Powell stripers the easiest and fastest.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I like fishing Powell but it takes so long to get there from here that I can only make it once (or twice at the most) each year. So I'd like to know your thoughts on when is the best time to go for my time and money spent.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I'm considering getting together with some friends down at Powell for a birthday party (mine!) around the first part of April. Is catching stripers around the first part of April easier than other times of the year? If not, when is it the easiest and fastest striper fishing at Powell?[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I plan to research this more at on Wane Gustaavison's web site ([/size][/font][url "http://www.wayneswords.com/"][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]http://www.wayneswords.com/[/size][/font][/url][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]) but I just wanted to see if any of you locals out there could help with this info.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Also, does anyone have any suggestions or recomendations for (or against) any of the fishing guides down there?[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Thanks in advance,[/size][/font]
[signature]
If I were going, I'd target the pre-spawn in late April/early May and then the boils in late July/early August. But I've done well in January, April, October too. Another thing you could do is email Wayne at wayneswords and give him your preferences, areas, fishing methods, etc. and he will email you back with his suggestions. I'm hoping to get down there again this year too. Good luck!
[signature]
tell you what I'll have my mom call and ask wayne himself for you my mom and his wife grew up together and were best friends so I'll have her pull some strings for you. I'm sure he wont have any prob with letting you know. he is a great guy. he has helped me out every time i've been there. plus there are a few thing I want to know also so I'll have her call this weekend. I hope it's the same # it's been a few years I think
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Wayne is predicting incredible fishing this year – perhaps the best ever – so you can’t go wrong. For stripers, I’ve had the best luck in late April/early May, and in August. The spring period also offers great smallmouth fishing. My favorite time to go to Powell is early October. Fishing is still very good, the water is warm, the air temperature isn’t quite so hot and the crowds are down.[/size][/font]

[size 3][font "Times New Roman"] [/font][/size]- Dave
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]The best info that you can find about [/size][/font][font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Lake[/size][/font][size 3][font "Times New Roman"] Powell[/font][/size][font "Times New Roman"][size 3] fishing is at www.wayneswords.com. If you post a message over there Wayne will often respond himself along with several guys that fish [/size][/font][font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Lake[/size][/font][size 3][font "Times New Roman"] Powell[/font][/size][size 3][font "Times New Roman"] year round. You can answer many of your questions by doing a search on the wayneswords message board. [/font][/size]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3] [/size][/font]

[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]If I had to choose one time to fish for the 2004 Lake Powell stripers it would be during the summer boils. October is the best choice for an all around enjoyable fishing trip because the crowds will be gone. A boat running over top of a boil you are fishing can be very frustrating.[/font][/size]

[size 3][font "Times New Roman"] [/font][/size]

[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Last spring the striper fishing wasn't as good as other years because there were plenty of shad for the stripers to feed on. There are still plenty of shad in the lake so this spring will likely be a repeat of last spring. In 2004 the striper fishing won't likely get really good until the boils start in late June or early July. I would recommend planning a trip when the stripers are boiling because I think catching one striper out of a boil is as much fun as catching 5 stripers on anchovies or trolling. The fall will probably be the best time to catch the stripers this year but the number of boils may decrease by then if the stripers eat most of the shad during the summer. The stripers are also considerably larger in the fall when they have a good forage base of shad during the spring and summer.[/font][/size]
[signature]
Go to waynewords.com and ask there. It's a great site. You should also read the fishing tips, fishing reports, and angler's corner sections of the site. Lots of great info in those sections before you even get to the message board

There are a few things to consider on a Powell trip. First, do you want to fish boils? That's probably the funnest way to catch them. If so, you can read all about boils on the site. But the next thing to consider is weather. It can be brutally hot in the summer, so spring/fall trips are nice.

Lake Powell is an amazing place. Allocate some time for sightseeing, hiking, visiting ruins, oh, and fishing (best usually early and late).
I love to fish the Hite area at Powell in April and May before the water gets muddy from the run off. It's one of the best times to catch walleye and I'm crazy about catching them. To catch the stripers is more of a challenge, but a lot of fun. You don't generally catch them on achovies that early in the year, but you can have a ball catching them on crankbaits. The smallmouth begin to bite also, but I catch most of them on jigs. The fishing at Powell is supposed to be great this year. Because of the abundance of forage, the stripers are supposed to be large, and we are supposed to catch much larger smallmouth.

See ya on the water!
Lloyd
[signature]
It has been several years since I have fished Powel for stripers. What I remember is; in the spring the striper will push the shad up into the ends of a canyon and then when they have them trapped, they have a feeding frenzy.

We would camp at Bullfrog and fish, I think Cider Spring canyon. When you see fish on your finder, in the end of whatever canyon you chose, then stop the boat and start fishing. We would always use a white marabu jigs tipped with a piece of an anchovy. In the fall of the year the fish would be on the walls in deeper water.

In either case the key is finding the fish. In the spring the water in the ends of the canyons can be heavily stained due to the runoff. If it is too stained you won't catch fish, but a little is okay. Watch for boils, they are fun to fish. If you are fishing a boil, a top water lure like a zara spook or ever a lure like a rattle trap will work good.

They are big strong fish, if they are healthy. Every few years they will eat the shad to near extinction and then the striper get thin and die off. Then the cycle starts again. The shad come back and the stripers follow.

Hope you have a great trip and a happy birthday. Let us know how you do.
[signature]
Hey Old Coot, as a fellow Davis County resident with a few years behind me and who has fished Powell at least once a year for 30 years, I would be happy to share my experience with you. I like to catch stripers at Powell, but mostly to "thin the herd" to help out the other species. The striper vacuum cleaners just plain eat too much. I have found May is a good month, particularly the last half. Look in the canyons a dozen or so miles from the boat ramps because they often go back into them herding the shad into the shallows. One trick I found is to look for the ravens. Those sneaky birds watch the stripers and shad schools and when the stripers attack the shad next to the bank,the shad often leap out of the water trying to escape, right onto the sand and rocks. The ravens swoop down and pick up the shad before they have a chance to wiggle back into the water. It is the craziest thing you ever saw. So, every May when I go down, one of the first things I do is look for the ravens. Cast anything silver right next to the shore and hang on. You can fill the boat. Mr. J.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I just wanted to thank you all for the great replies and info you all gave. Lots of good info.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I placed a similar request for info over on the Waynes' Words board and got more good info there:[/size][/font] [indent]

[url "http://www.wayneswords.com/wayne/wayne.pl?read=47408"][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]http://www.wayneswords.com/wayne/wayne.pl?read=47408[/size][/font][/url][/indent]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I've decided to bag the April trip for one maybe in May or August (hot!!).[/size][/font]
[signature]