Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua tomorrow?
We can't get away to fish at Mantua until the afternoon. How is the pm fishing usually? Anybody fished there lately? We would like to catch some bass. What's the best way to go about doing that there? Thanks for any help you can give.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

isn't that place fished out yet
[signature]
The massive rush on Mantua at ice-on usually discourages me after afew weeks, bu I have heard for three different "locals" that the big bluegills often tun on best in Feb, and so do the bass. Never confirmed it, but I'm not often fishing Mantua in Feb, so....

I do ge a lot of bass and trout (and zero panfish) with a dropper (weight at the bottom, hook loop hanging to one side) and a light wire hook holding half a nightcrawler 6-10" above the bottom.

Wish I could join you.
[signature]
Well we went even though we couldn't get there till 3. Joatman iced three perch. I caught one fish and got it up to the hole where it got off. I discovered that it had looped around my other line and probably used it to lever the hook out. It wasn't a perch. I was hoping for a bass but it was probably a trout. Everybody we talked to said it had been good early but was pretty slow when we got there. Most people seemed to be fishing on the east side. We were out in the middle somewhere which was probably the wrong place. EyLayo loaned me his flasher and I marked a few fish when I jigged. They were really attracted when I aggressively jigged a Lindy Perch Talker; I thought for sure they would take the waxworm dangling on the chain, but they just seemed to be curious. Brett caught his on a small pink tungsten jig tipped with a waxworm. Mine was on a #8 pink-bodied Rat Finkee with waxworm.

The ice was 13" thick and there was no slush to speak of. Temperatures were in the low 40s.

Nothing to add to the contest board but I did have 2 firsts. First time drilling holes with my new Milwaukee Fuel drill and Nils auger and first time fishing with a flasher. A good warm up for our FG trip.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.