Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catfish contest
I sure hope we have a decently long ice-fishing season, but...

ONLY 28 DAYS TO THE START OF THE CATFISH CONTEST.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I was thinking it was 15 March but 28 days sounds good for me.
[signature]
I think Craig is jumping the gun it has usually been the 15th after the ice challenge wraps up. I’ll pull the rules and check, but I think that is right. Later J
[signature]
Posted 2/23/18:

"BFT Catfish Contest 2018 Kickoff
Okay I finally got a clue and got the rules updated for the new year... Biggest changes only one youth prize this year, only had a couple enter last year.... Contest begins 3-1-18"
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Looks like my memory is slipping. I’ll have to get ready sooner than I thought. Later J
[signature]
Now Now! Let's stay focused, people. It's still ice season.
[signature]
Sorry I said anything and got everybody excited. I was sorta hoping Jeff was right. Anyway, everybody knows you can't catch catfish until April anyway. Carpy diem. May the ice be with you. Focus, focus!
[signature]

My memory says it has been both the 15th and the 1st in the past. Last year I caught UL cats in my boat in early Feb and we were all ready.

It looks like the lake may be ready by March 1st so I'm voting for that start date, if Jeff can handle it[Wink]
[signature]
28 Days!" My My " So much to do. oil reels, re-spool with new line, sharpen hooks, mend bait net.
[signature]
There's Always Time For One More Cast
Well with the slower catch rate early I might be able to keep up while I’m still ice crazy. But that will be crunch time so updates may be delayed. Maybe the ice will be gone so I’ll be more able to focus. Boy this winter has gone by fast. I can’t believe it is that late already. Later J
[signature]
Hey John, nice to know you are still out there. We have made a couple recons to the river, and 2 weekends ago about the only open water was at the last south-west gate.
Roger on the "so much to do" I just finished reworking the rod racks in my boat shed so all my poles are up and out of the boat. Now I need to get several spools of new line, check all my various tackle boxes and bags to restock the hardware given up to the fish, rocks, snags, etc last year. I'm hoping my tax return comes in before the Cat contest gets started cuz this year I'm getting some new sun shade rigs set up on the boat. Taking it to Brian's Canvas, hopefully early enough to beat the crowd of big boats going in for new canvas.
Looking forward to seeing ya at the river again this year.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Ahoy! Forest. Sounds like you're going to get the Tin Can all ready for them hot summer days. Will be watching for you on the river.
I took a ride down there Sunday. Still lots of ice and the spot I found open had a continuous flow of ice sheets floating down.
[signature]
There's Always Time For One More Cast
Yep, trying. Mama gets pretty roasted at the front of the boat cuz the top don't cover that far. May have to come up with an umbrella for the long days at the river, too.
[signature]

Cool
Ice be gone! I'm ready!
[signature]
Ice is already gone on the Bear River and Utah Lake let it stay on our other ponds. I’m just getting started ice fishing, no hurry for soft water from me. Amazing how short the winter is when you don’t want it to end. Later J
[signature]
[#0000FF]Not to impinge upon religious beliefs...or common sense...but I have long held the opinion that we receive what we desire in INVERSE proportion to the degree of our earnestness. In other words...the more we want something the least likely we are to get it.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Cynical? Yep. Happens a lot with us old dudes. Especially after we have been married a long time.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I drove out to the river the other day and found some ice. Punched a hole and set up the shack. Caught one little itty biitty catfish. That's about all the ice fishing I'm doing this year!
Like you said, the winters are getting short.
[signature]
Sometimes seems that way for sure. But I’ve also seen the things that you get shorted on, seem to be the most special to you as well. So they have their rewards as well. Sure cold outside this morning, I’m hoping for better edges after that night. I think I’m in my last two weeks of ice for the lower elevation stuff. Got to make the best of it. Later J
[signature]
I don’t dare admit how many times I’ve been out trying for cats or carp and still have not had a nibble from those species. I get crappie but no cats. Congrats I’m still after my first ice cat. How or what did you use to catch it if you don’t mind sharing. I’m doing it wrong obviously. Thanks Jeff
[signature]
I am sure ready to see some warmer days. Went online yesterday and ordered the recharge kits for my auto inflating PFD's, some new 30 lb. braid for my Cat poles. Also ordered a spool of some orange 30 lb. mono. Never used it, but figured I'd try it out for no other reason than hopefully I will be able to see it better. And if I don't like it for some reason, it was fairly inexpensive.
[signature]

Cool