Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lost Creek again 2/1
Got up early this morning and hit Lost Creek. Temp in Croydon was 0 degrees. Temp at the parking lot was 5 degrees. Road had been plowed and was dry all the way to the dam. Found my spot again and started catching fish from the get go. Most fish were close to the bottom today, but did catch 4 sight fishing down the hole. The weather was great and it warmed up pretty fast after the sun came up. By noon I was in my long sleeve T-shirt in the tent. Caught lots under the slot cutts and a few bows, only 3 slot fish, and no slot-buster this time. I ended up catching 23 fish today, with lots of lookers but no takers as well on the sonar. I have caught quite a few cutts with a piece of their tail missing like the one in the middle of the picture. Is this something the DWR has clipped to identify a certain planting of fish? Makes their tails into a V-shape. I've never caught fish that have been cljpped this way before. Caught them on all types of offerings today but nothing on small tungsten or ice flies. They just wouldn't hit them. All on jigs or jigging lures.
[signature]
Thanks for the report and congrats in the great day.

After my slow Lost Creek day on 1/26 and my declaration that I wasn't going to go there anymore this year, I am now very tempted to go back.

Have you fish there regularly this year and if so did you find the bite there the last two weeks slow and it is now picking up? Just curious becasue I had a really good day there on 1/12, but some mediocre days on 1/26 and 1/19. I am wondering if it was just me...[crazy]
[signature]
I've only been twice, but both days there was very little traffic on the lake. I think that helps a lot. I also had several hook-ups and long releases, could have easily been a 30+ fish day with those misses and the bites I missed as well. I kept trying large offerings on one of the rods hoping to entice a big fish, and had many lookers at those as well. It was a good day!
[signature]
I am not aware of the marking methods by the DWR but I have seen one or two cutts out of many hundreds in strawberry with similar looking tails. Attach is a photo from 2010 at strawberry. Unique enough that I took a photo and wondered the same at the time. My "not a biologist" guess is, it is not man-made.