Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
East canyon question
We are taking a group of Scouts up to East Canyon this weekend. I am curious if anybody has fished East Canyon lately. If so, what depth of water are you having luck at and what color jigs, and what bait? Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.
[signature]
Fished there this Sat with two of my friends. We did quite well for 10"-14" trout, a couple of 16"ers, each of us caught 20-25 fish.

We were in 35-40 FOW, catching was 12-15' down and gradually got deeper as we got closer to noon time. A friend moved to 15' caught 2 and that was it while myself and the other friend stayed deep and continued catching as the schools came by.
Used Maniac Vertigo jig head with white with red flecked gizzilla and a wax worm. Intermittent use of anchovy smelly jelly. They liked an occasional jigging motion then dead sticking it. The bite was often light. Best catching was from 8:30 a.m. to about 11 a.m.

Good luck this weekend!
[signature]
Thanks for the nice detailed report. I have some of those Maniac jig heads but haven't tried them yet, do you like them better than other jig heads?
[signature]
I like them a lot better than the regular jig heads, they hold your bait horizontal. Work well with the various Maniac plastics.
[signature]
They Definitely work better. I have fished right next to a friend (3' away) who was using same color, size and weight but different jig head and body and I out caught him 3:1. We even swapped holes, same thing. He finally consented to try the maniac combo and he too started catching more fish! The flat head has a notch in it that helps hold the jig horizontal. Give it a try! I could empty 95% of my tackle box with this jig head, and 2-3 colors but the white with red flecks will always be on my rod!
[signature]
Thank you for your help and advice, it is much appreciated. It turns out there was a scout Klondike up at East Canyon this weekend so the campground was completely packed. Fortunately they let us camp in the lower parking lot since the campground is full. The temperature did stay above 0 degrees,at a solid 1 degrees this morning. The fishing was very slow and we mostly caught only small trout. We ended up catching a few of the trout in 16 feet of water, one person did catch one in 40 feet of water but only 10 feet under the ice.the edges were soft, but you could still jump it. Green was the ticket. The would follow my white/red flake, but never bite at it.
[signature]
Tried a chartreuse Vertigo jig head with a pink gizzilla yesterday but no luck, what color jig head were you using?
[signature]
Green head with green 1.5 ice cutter. I tried the vertico white head with a white skirt and red flake and I could see them following me on the Flasher all over but they never would bite it. So I switched to a regular lead head withgreen head and green skirt and that's when I started getting bites and catching fish. I did leave the vertigo and the white with red flake on for a while but since they would not bite it I switched it after about an hour and a half of no bites on the vertigo one.
[signature]