Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Palisades
A friend went there last Saturday at Big Elk on the lake side . 50 yards out on the lake ice was 12 to 14" thick . They caught 9 . The biggest was 20 " . It has Been very cold up there this week so it will probably be thicker and edges ok .
[signature]
I’m thinking of going up there this weekend. Never fished it before. But I have a couple free days to go. What were they catching? Any advice on bait or lures? I’ll post a report when I get back.
[signature]
Brown's and Cutthrought . I didn't ask about bait . They said the people that were fishing closer to the bank were doing better than them .
[signature]
Typical white tube jigs tipped with sucker meat or meal worms usually work pretty well. Pk flutter spoons or kastmasters also usually produce some good fish. If you jig with those options and put out a couple of dead sticks with just bait of your choice you should do well. Fishing is usually best really early and then again for a while before dark. Good luck if you make it.
[signature]
I agree on your bait choices . I would add White Paddle Bugs. And i always have one rod out with an Orange jigging Rapala. About 2" long . With bait on the middle hook .
[signature]
There’s going to be lots of overflow guys Sad We’ve gotten about a foot and a half of snow here this week just here in Irwin and the Bureau is filling the lake. Better bring a plank.
[signature]
[quote Mediocrefisher]I’m thinking of going up there this weekend. Never fished it before. But I have a couple free days to go. What were they catching? Any advice on bait or lures? I’ll post a report when I get back.[/quote]If i’m up there tomorrow I’ll show you what’s been working for me the last few years. Usually limit out within a couple hours. I drive a red Dodge truck if you would like to join me. I usually fish a few hundred yards northwest of the bay.
[signature]

[signature]
Been out here the last 2 days. Yesterday edges were bad but better today. Caught a few decent Browns and it’s been a good time but real cold. Brutal cold yesterday. Went for all the gear today. Didn’t set up shelter yesterday because we weren’t sure where we wanted to fish and didn’t want to get stuck in one spot. Going to give it one more try tomorrow.
What we’ve caught were on tube jigs with a minnow and one on the dead stick with the jaw jacker.
[signature]
Glad to hear your having some success. Temperatures have been pretty brutal the last couple of days, good to see your braving the elements. Good luck tomorrow. Be aware that the wind is supposed to pick up pretty good after about 10a.m.[Wink]
[signature]
[quote Mediocrefisher]Been out here the last 2 days. Yesterday edges were bad but better today. Caught a few decent Browns and it’s been a good time but real cold. Brutal cold yesterday. Went for all the gear today. Didn’t set up shelter yesterday because we weren’t sure where we wanted to fish and didn’t want to get stuck in one spot. Going to give it one more try tomorrow.
What we’ve caught were on tube jigs with a minnow and one on the dead stick with the jaw jacker.[/quote]Which group we’re you with? We ended up going on the creek side of big elk. Ended up with 14 in just over an hour and a half. Took our daily bags home.
[signature]
Be careful out there. Yesterday two people on a snow machine went through at Indian Creek . They said there are some warm springs there . I did not know this . Both people are safe .
[signature]
Yup lots of warm springs just to the west of the old Indian Creek bridge and a bunch more up the canyon.
[signature]
We were down from there on the main body of the lake. We’re in a red Eskimo shelter. Driving a red Chevy.
[signature]
[quote Mediocrefisher]We were down from there on the main body of the lake. We’re in a red Eskimo shelter. Driving a red Chevy.[/quote] I did see you guys there on the way home. How did you do there?
[signature]
We only caught a few. But some decent Browns. Never fished it before so next time I’ll have a better plan. Thanks for the info. If nothing else it’s a beautiful place to go ice fishing. I’ve floated and fished below the dam several times. I’d definitely say it’s worth trying again sometime.
[signature]