Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
walleye question
i have a utah lake question....

i have caught walleye in the spring fishing for bass, and also in the fall. but i have never

caught a walleye in the heat of the summer. but i have never fished for walleye in

the summer. so my question is where do i find eyes in the summer at utah lake?

i would really like to get into some this summer. i have caught some decent ones in

willard in the summer on accident, out of my canoe fishing for wipers.

thanks

JOe
[signature]
They move into the shallows just at or after dark to feed on minnows. My little bro caught one once in the dead middle of summer at about 10:30 pm from the shore in the cattails using a worm trying to catch channel cats. It was a surprise when he pulled up a 3 lb. walleye! You could probably target them in shallow water using crankbaits fished right on the bottom, or still fishing anchovies or something like that. Probably end up with quite a few cats while you're at it.
[signature]
should i focus on rocky....sandy....harbors.... or just shollows in general..

i was thinking of wading for cats on the rocky flats at lincoln beach near the springs

do u think that this area will produce some eyes?
[signature]
As I rarely target them, except during the pre-spawn and spawn in March-April, I'm really not that knowledgable about it. There are a few who do who can better answer that question.

However, I imagine Lincoln Beach is a good area, it's more rocky and that should be better. If you're in areas that are dominated by cattails (i.e. muddy or sandy areas you'll probably end up taking a boatload of mudcats, a few channels, some white bass as well as other possibilities, but maybe not as many walleyes.

That's why I love Utah Lake so much, you never know what the next fish will be that bites your line!
[signature]
IN SUMMER AT UTAH LAKE YOU WILL FIND MOST OF THE EYE'S IN THE EDGE OF THE CATTAILS. USE 4 INCH GRUBS DARK GREEN.
[signature]
Yep, they can't go deep. So they head for the weeds. Probe the weed holes with slip bobber rig.
a slip bobber rigged with what? [crazy]
[signature]
Slip-bobbering is a deadstick technique, so put something on the hook that will squirm.