Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Float tubing question
Doing some research prior fo making the move to Utah so I’ve got a few questions. Looking at pics of float tubes I noticed numbers on the tubes. Do you have to register your float tube? Also can you tube on Salem pond and is it worth the effort. Looking forward to many new adventures and species to be caught
[signature]
Welcome to Utah! Registration is only required if you add a motor to your float tube/pontoon/canoe, thus essentially making it a motorized watercraft. Not sure on Salem Pond and its watercraft restrictions. Here's a link about Utah's watercraft usage. https://stateparks.utah.gov/activities/b...ions-list/
[signature]
Thanks for the info
[signature]
[#0000FF]Your question on registration has already been answered. No registration required unless you add a motor. However, for the purposes of compliance with the invasive species restrictions you will have to either fill out a form every time you launch or else take the one time online test. In the words of DWR, "If it floats, it's a boat".[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Quite a few of us "floatation fisherfolk" in Utah. Plenty of places that are easy launching and good fishing.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I have tubed Salem Pond. It is legal and it can be productive. Better during the week and at times when the general public is not "using" it. Multiple species and decent fishing once you learn the spots and the tactics.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Oh yeah, welcome to the forum and hope your move is more pleasant than otherwise.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks for more info. I’m retired and have no problem getting up early and avoiding the crowds during the week. Know I’m looking into a new tube to replace a fat cat that hasn’t been used much in California the passed few years. Looking for a tube with oars to get around faster and give the upper body a work out if the fish aren’t biting
[signature]
[#0000FF]I'm a former Californian myself...and also a former Fat Catter. I now pilot a Scadden "Escape"...which is between a tube and a toon. It has oars but I took them off my rig and added a trolling motor. The oars are kinda wimpy and for me they get in the way more than working for propulsion. I prefer the hands free movement with fins for most fishing...but love the motor as a way to get places faster...or to beat my way back in against a breeze. And us retirees have to be mindful that we can no longer throw a roostertail for a ten mile return jaunt.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Lots of great options on the market these days that did not exist even a few years ago.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]