Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport Fri. Feb. 8
Grandson and I hit Rockport about 0800, hiked down the very fresh, deep snow, cross very slushy edge, and fought our way through pretty deep and semi-slushy snow before finding our 45 FOW area...here grandson tried shoveling out an area for my tent, but that quickly filled with water....So, we did what we should have done in the first place, just set up tent on the open snow, then pack it down from the inside, then drill holes, and start fishing by 0830....very few, scattered people fishing all A.M. on entire res....maybe 15 total....maybe most people were a lot smarter than us today, as fishing was just fair...(solunar charts did say 'Poor' for today)....lots of work, esp. coming back up the "still not packed down'' hill, but it was very good to be out with my only fishing grandson....3 rainbows (accidentally caught off bottom) and a dozen good perch was our take for the A.M., better than a skunk, but slow....one of T.D.'s glow firetiger jigs worked great for my grandson, using perch eye or cut meat....for me, glow banana bug or glow forage minnow worked best, using non-flavored eye, or T.D.'s recently posted recipe for crawfish enhanced cut perch meat....perch bite way slow after 1100....I hope someone else packs down that ingress/egress path soon! Guluk....
[signature]
Always worth getting out with the grand kids and they will remember those trips forever. I wondered if it would be a slushy mess with all that new snow.
[signature]
Yeah, I was a little surprised at the slush there, especially with the temp. at the parking area -5* at 0800....Snow is a very good insulator....3 or 4 days/nites of that kind of cold, and maybe it'll get more solid...I hope....
[signature]
We were there Saturday. Had a hard time finding the perch, once we found them the bite was quick but it stop around 11am for us as well
[signature]
Glad you made it out -- lots of people out on Sat. with you?...Do you mind saying depth of water you finally found the perch, and what worked for you? I'm trying to figure out if they're changing location because it's now late Winter season....ei. going deeper, or going shallower for spawning? I'm trying to get smarter, but I know that's asking alot.....Guluk...
[signature]
30 fow

Green and yellow tube jig with a meal worm
[signature]