Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Causey Reservoir - 02-09-2019
Where: Causey Reservoir

I tried to stay off the ice and knock out some home tasks, but an invite from my brother in law and encouragement from my wife put me on the ice again today. I am a lucky man! I needed to stay close again (my 10 YO son plays rec league basketball which wrecks my Saturdays) so we decided to hit Causey in search of a monster tiger trout and some Kokanee. My father in law joined us becasue he is a 'Koke addict' and wanted a chance to get some under the ice. He spends his summers on Flaming Gorge chasing (and catching) them.

When: 8:00 AM - 12:30 PM

Group's Fish Caught: ~15

Between 5 of us we caught a mix of small rainbows, cutthroat, and one Kokanee (emphasis on small) [Tongue] No lunker tiger trout for us.[Sad] The day was pretty slow with everything coming off the bottom in 24-30 FOW. We did fish some at 40 FOW, but we did not have much success that deep. It was a balance between a dead stick and a jigging rod. We did have a few moments where our fish finders would light up with Kokanee. One of those times my father in law was able to entice a bite and he landed a small Kokanee!

Baits/Lures: Green jig heads with green glow tube jigs and gizzilla crazy glow bugs we tipped with worms and shrimp. Shrimp seemed to do the best.

Ice Condition: solid 18". Yep, I said 18". We measured where we were fishing. Glad we had battery drill augers. I had my snowmobile on the ice. There was about 3-4 inches of snow then a crust of ice with 1-2 inches of slush which made walking a bit of a challenge.

Weather: -3F on the way up, but on the ice it was between 10F and 20F all day. Little or no breeze. Mostly overcast. It started to snow about 12:30 on our way out.

Company on the Ice: Quite a few other angers. More than I expected, but we did find the Skull Crack Trail Head Parking to be open which is where we parked.
[signature]
Another nice detailed report. We sure don't get many from Causey. Not sure why but the kokes there have been pretty small for a number of years. We haven't fished there in a couple of years for that reason. Not really sure where the Skull Crack Trail Head is but is it by the gate to Causey estates? What area of the lake did you fish?
[signature]
We fished the reservoir just around the corner where the Causey Estates arm meets the main body. We started fishing on the south side and then moved to the north side.
[signature]