Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cataholic cat rigs?
Except for the fact that opening day used to be really good fishing... Fraid our opener will be pretty slow catching... But who knows some of you guys have the chilly cat thing down pat... As for me, I expect I'll be mid march before I can catch anything if I'm lucky... But then again, I'll be ice fishing till then anyway... Later J
[signature]
"you guys have the chilly cat thing down pat..."

[#0000FF]Down who?[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I picture you with one of those paper chains that you rip a link off everyday like kids do at Christmas. Me I feel like I need a Valium to pass the time I’m getting so anxious to hit the lake and try out the new rod and reel and boat. Never am I going to buy new toys months in advance.
[signature]
"Never am I going to buy new toys months in advance."

[#0000FF]Fishermen should never say NEVER.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Yup that’s right “Pat”. Wondered if you’d pick up on that. By the way I see Willard ice was clearing on the way home from work tonight. So I’d expect it won’t be long until you show that technique. Wind has really picked up now so I bet it will clear the rest of the ice over the next little while. I couldn’t tell if the open water went all the way to the ramp yet but the channel was open into the north marina a long ways and there was open water on south and north sides of the lake. Big ice island in the middle. Anyway I thought you might be interested in that info. Later J
[signature]
[#0000FF]I have had intel from a couple of local sources who also say the lake is clearing. Might still be a week or two before the ice is off and Mama Nature gets back on her meds. Cold and wind are not good go-togethers in a float tube. And I usually do better after the breezes have helped re-oxygenate the winter water a bit.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I’m sure it won’t take long before you’re back after them. I sure don’t do well in the early open water myself, it’s the toughest time of year for me to fish. Always amazes me how you guys catch fish this time of year. Hopefully I’ll figure out how to do better, but I think I’ll stay on the ice as long as I can. Good luck. J
[signature]
Mooseman, If you cant wait the deer creek state park wed says the main ramp is open and the wedge dock is in. I would call or do a recon before you take the boat up.

Pat, I'm surprised you haven't been to Lincoln yet, its been soft for a couple weeks, just cant get it out of the harbors[Sad]
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
[#0000FF]Yeah, I'm in the advanced twitching stages of piscatorial withdrawal. And while I have caught fish down there every month of the year, I have mellowed a bit as age bites me on the backside. I have long proclaimed that I fish for enjoyment...not endurance. Although a few of my escapades might contradict that.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I am almost always on Utah Lake by early March. I always do better once the sun comes out and warms the water to at least 40 degrees. Cats are still pretty slow, but that is about the beginning of the walleye prespawn feeding session. So, by taking a range of lures and baits I can usually find something to treat my winter withdrawals.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Over the indoor months I have made a bunch of new lures, built a couple of new fliggin' rods and come up with a new PVC front deck system for my tube. I wanna get out and try all that new stuff...even if I don't decimate the fish population.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Soon, my son. Soon.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I'm guessing that you hear the walleyes callin' too. Did you check to see if they stocked it at Bird Island this year? Ha!
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
At this point right now, I unloaded all tackle from the boat, anything in packages has been opened put away organized stacked and waiting, rod and reel has been cleaned lubed sitting in the corner being Sad because of lack of use[Sad]
daily checks on the weather and web cams,

Therapist said its ok to fish from the bank.

Have been to Lincoln every weekend the last 3 checking and fishing, harbor was free for a couple days, then iced over again, ice stacks have blown off the island, seen two pelicans show up last weekend. so i know its getting close,

took up crappie fishing at first spring to make the time pass, not near as exciting but will have to do until the ice goes away. found out I have a hole in my old waders, so cant go too deep. was wanting to fish the little rock pile between the harbor exit and first spring. just about every one I've seen fishing is just wanting to catch fish, not target one kind.

some are still taking bucket loads of WB home.

water level is about to cover the rocks, almost to the seem on the ramp.
it is launchable level have to run with motor up and watch the rock at the dock.

it seems to help to talk about it knowing I am not the only one that waiting IMPATIENTLY.
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
[#0000FF]Maybe we should attend some Fishaholics Anonymous meetings together. I understand they have a great 12 cast program. Not sure though. I heard it was just someplace you go with other anxious anglers to get drunk...and nobody knows who you are.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Not quite to that point YET, maybe get with BLK and see which chapter he is in. but if this weather does not start to cooperate soon we might have to join anything
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
Deer creek sounds like an awesome idea. My only fear is we are still getting freezing temps and and with me not knowing how to winterize the boat I don’t want to get water up in the outboard. Maybe I’m just paranoid as a new owner. I’m just being cautious I guess. But I’m definitely getting the itch. Thanks for the recommendation because I can get up there sooner probably.
[signature]
The water will drain out unless you have a seal issue already. If there is water in the crankcase you will have issues no matter what the temps are.
[signature]
Also yuba, but no docks in.
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
Nice mild and sunny day today so decided to take a ride out to Lincoln with sweet-wife. Nice. Lots of water in the fields and the creek channel is tough to even locate. Lots of geese feeling the relief of not being shot at and many of them were pairing up with romance in mind -- ditto the Mallards.

The lake level continues to rise and the rocks at the first spring are almost completely submerged. No fishermen observed but did see a fish cop roaming around looking for a likely suspect.

Stopped on the ramp and took in the smells and sounds for a bit; found a few badly used curly tails, a rusty hook or two and some ancient wasted line. Made a few imaginary casts just to see if my arm still worked and found some moss that I briefly considered chewing on for relief.

At that point I was taken gently by the arm and placed in the passengers seat of my truck, given a red and white bobber to fondle, and returned home for meds.

And we got snow comin'!!

The best is yet to come but it sure is slow gettin' here.[Tongue]

BLK
[signature]
at least you didnt cry.... today
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
Sounds like you really need a fix! Me too! I assume the channel has no ice in it. Is that correct?
[signature]
Nice looking crappie! Thanks for sharing.
[signature]
I also took a ride with my better half down to LB. Felt some of the same experiences as you Lynn. Won’t be long now! I think my wife needs me to get out soon. My depressive mood is bringing her down also. The whole way down to the beach I was expecting to see you pulling your (Cat Tracker Boat). Hoping to exchange pleasantries and receive some badly needed support. Tight Lines. Will see you soon.
[signature]