Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe's Valley and the long walk to the dam
I'm a long time lurker (reading without posting). This is my first real post. I've really enjoyed all the things you've all shared and appreciate all the things I've learned.

----------------
It's taken a couple weeks to get to JVR since LOAH's epic post but we made it yesterday. Started the day at the Seely Creek outlet around 9:30. We could tell by looking at the finder that the fish were few and far between. They weren't really interested in eating either, they wouldn't even stop to checkout what we had to offer.

We picked up our gear and made our way deeper into the outlet, checking the fish action as we went. It looked pretty barren and we could see other anglers drilling new holes around them and moving around (not a good sign).

I forgot to mention that when we first pulled in to Joes we stopped to at the dam to see where everyone was set up. There were a couple tents down the cliff face and they were chatting excitedly about getting their lines ripped pretty hard, there was also some good positive cussing (a good sign). I was only there for a minute, sound travels good up there.

As we were facing the prospect of getting skunked at Seely we made the decision to walk across the lake and fish by one of the points by the dam.

Walking on the ice wasn't too bad. There was about 5" of hard packed snow.

Within seconds of drilling our first hole, dropping a line and our transducer, we saw a fish come checkout our offering. The pink paddle bug with a wax worm was the ticket. My daughter reeled as much as she could until her arms were tired. Then the reel actually came loose from the rod, adding to the excitement. Luckily we were still able to land this 21 incher.

Overall we caught 5 nice fish. They hit a lot of different things, the pink paddle bug, pink marabou jig, a hook with a chunk of chub meat, a white whirly tail jig, and a chartreuse wingding jig. They didn't hit anything twice except the pink paddle bug and they preferred the wax worms over chub, shiners, night crawler, or meal worm when tipping. They were definitely picky.
Congrats to your daughter for landing a fine fish.
[signature]
I'll bet the young lady remembers that nice splake for a long time. Very good photo of your daughter.

Mike
[signature]
Congrats!

That's a good walk from Seely. Glad you found some action over there.
[signature]
Thanks for the report. Seems like somethings going right in Joe's valley. Some nice fish coming out of there.
[signature]
Great story! When you can have things go wrong and still get a good fish in -- that is one to remember. Thanks for the report.
[signature]
Great report. Thank you! How is the cellphone service at Joe's Valley? I am always on call so that's currently the main determining factor of where I can fish/when I can fish.
[signature]
I had zero coverage until I was almost to Orangeville (the first city when coming down the canyon). I have Verizon.
[signature]