Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Farmington Bay update
[#0000FF]I recently made a post about cast-netting some carp at Farmington Bay. It was brought to my attention that fishing was illegal there. Since I had been allowed to catch minnows there in the past, I made some inquiries...to get the straight story. This is the response I got straight from DWR.[/#0000FF]

My name is Krystal Tucker and I'm one of the DWR Officers who patrols Farmington Bay Waterfowl management Area. FBWMA Manager Jason Jones told me about your question and I offered to contact you with an explanation since it's more LE based. He and his assistant David England are CC'd on this email.

It is unlawful to fish at FBWMA for any species, using nets/bowfishing/fishing rods under the Unlawful Use of Division Lands Admin rule (R657-28-4) which basically states you may not use the Division land in any way posted as not allowed.

As a general rule, FBWMA Managers haven't allowed fishing in any form within FBWMA for many years. There are postings at FBWMA prohibiting fishing on the property.

I cannot speak for Bear River because that is a Federal refuge and I do not patrol over there.

Also, in general, netting for minnows on Utah's waters is frowned upon because "minnows" are usually baby game fish. Netting is not a legal means to catch game fish. This is not always the case but a cautionary thing I tell many people because they typically do so on our community fisheries which primarily hold game fish.

Since you've been netting these minnows at FBWMA they are likely baby carp and carp are legal to dipnet (See our 2019 Fishing Guidebook for rules on taking common carp, page 17).

I politely ask you refrain from fishing in all forms at FBWMA as it is against their posted rules.

Feel free to call me if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you,
Krystal Tucker
Conservation Officer- South Davis
Utah Division of Wildlife Resources
[signature]
Well that seems silly. One of the few places you could dip net minnows without worrying about game fish. Thanks for checking.
[signature]
[#0000FF]All of my minnow-catching spots are either drying up or becoming off limits.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I used to have a sign on my office wall that said: "Ain't no good reason for it. Just company policy."
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I've been ice fishing with perch eyes and taking the bodies home for cut bait.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Perch meat has always been a good bait...for many species. But those left handed blue eyed minnows are money most of the time.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]