Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Snowmobile tag along
As many of you know, I am now the owner of a snowmobile. Unfortunately, none of my regular ice fishing buddies own a snowmobile. I have already experienced being stuck in the slush, in a snowmobile, and prefer not to experience that again; especially with out another snowmobile available to assist. My new-to-me snowmobile should handle the slush as well as about any snowmobile out there, but of course it is still possible to get stuck. I would appreciate being able to join some of you fellow snowmobile owners on some of your fishing outings. I live in the Bountiful area. I am game for fishing most anywhere and I am available to fish Tuesdays through Saturday, typically once or twice a week. I will be fishing Fish Lake on the 20th and 21st.

If interested please send me a PM.
[signature]
I was just at fish lake and there is very little snow on the ice due to blowing conditions. There was also no slush to speak of. I would love to go again, but I have commitments that will keep me off the ice. I have two sleds for exactly what you’re talking about. Good luck and hope you slay them.
[signature]
I had to call in sick so I could go to Lake Powell!
Your welcome to go with us anytime I'll let you know when we go
[signature]
Kent,
Glad you have a machine, seems the older we get, the more need we have of them. I and my wife generally go alone because of the same reason you stated. Fortunately we have never been stranded, but the fear of going very far and getting stuck or a breakdown haunts me. I have not gotten out much this year due to my wife's knee injury and she doesn't want me going alone, so I have done very little fishing this winter. Would enjoy hooking up with you and going to Strawberry or where ever. I am still among the working class for a couple of more years, so I am on the Saturday fishing schedule only (even though I am past the retirement age). Seems there is always something going on each weekend which limits my availability even more. Saturdays are always the most crowded day to go, but, with the aid of a snowmobile, getting away from the crowds is very easy to do. Aside from all that, let's get together and go, it has been several years since the last time we fished together. I am in Rose Park, which is just a hop skip and a jump from you. Unfortunately, my trailer only hauls one snowmobile, but my pickup would easily pull a double trailer if you have access to one. I drive a 2016 Ford F150 4x4 with the V6 Eco-Boost engine, which gets great gas milage. I have been considering going somewhere tomorrow and could have my arm twisted to convince me if the weather is good. Haven't been to Renegade this year and have been itching to go. It is about a three mile snowmobile ride across the lake from the Marina, or 10 miles by road and always empty of other fishermen.
[signature]
Boy have I been there. As I had gotten older I got a snowmobile and used it for several years but sold it because it still became "too much work". Enjoy it while you can!
[signature]
[quote fishgiver]Boy have I been there. As I had gotten older I got a snowmobile and used it for several years but sold it because it still became "too much work". Enjoy it while you can![/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]At 76 years young, that comment struck me as funny. If I gave up my sled, I'd probably give up ice fishing as well. For me, it's just another required piece of equipment. I don't consider anything about owning or using a sled to be "work." Not owning one would require way more "work" getting to and from productive fishing spots more often than not. Not knocking your opinion on sleds at all; just found it amusing and quite different than my take on them. Have a great day and tight lines to you. [cool][/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
You know... the trouble I have found with owning a snowmobile to ice fish is, because of the ease of transporting the gear, you tend to collect more and more. What used to be a 5 gallon bucket with 1 rod, bait and a hand auger turned into a hand pulled sled, a tent, chair and fish finder. When the snowmobile came along, it changed again to include a bigger tent, several rods, more electronics, a table, stove, heater, lunch and or breakfast, power auger and becoming the host for boy scout trips or newbe trips because of the equipment you have and they don't have and the ease of accessing uncrowded fishing spots. That really hasn't been a problem with the "being a host" as I enjoy it. You end up not being able to spend as much time fishing as you would like because you spend time with your guests to make sure they have a good experience. Sometimes just being selfish is nice. Getting my wife to tag along has been a real bonus for me, which would not have happened without the aid of a snowmobile. One of our favorite things to do was to go to Strawberry early in the morning, fish until noon and then drive to Dickies in Heber to have ribs for a late lunch. Made for a great date. I say "was" because Dickies has closed and is no longer in Heber. When my wife heals and we are able to go fishing again, we will have to find a new restaurant.
[signature]
[quote bowdude]You know... the trouble I have found with owning a snowmobile to ice fish is, because of the ease of transporting the gear, you tend to collect more and more. What used to be a 5 gallon bucket with 1 rod, bait and a hand auger turned into a hand pulled sled, a tent, chair and fish finder. When the snowmobile came along, it changed again to include a bigger tent, several rods, more electronics, a table, stove, heater, lunch and or breakfast, power auger and becoming the host for boy scout trips or newbe trips because of the equipment you have and they don't have and the ease of accessing uncrowded fishing spots.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Yep! [Wink]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."