Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crazy catch and release...
Set up my rods on the snake river about 3. Ran me ragged with little trout, 12 inchers, 7 bows, one brown. I had jawjackers scattered out in a 100 yard radius. I have landed some huge carp there before but when rod went off and i took out of holder i new this was something with more power. 45 minutes later, 36 inch rod, 8 lb. test i brought a 3 to 4 foot sturgeon to base of ice. I know what the rules are so it never came out of the hole, not even a picture to show for my efforts. I guess that happens when you only fish with the dog! I would have never thought that a sturgeon would bite through the ice. Have you ever have heard of that happening?
[signature]
Nice, you don't hear of many folks catching them ice fishing, unless you fish in Parma, Idaho:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tagwMajvI_s
[signature]
I have caught them in the river in the winter below CJ Strike while fishing for trout when I lived in Grandview so I would imagine they would bite with an ice cap as well.
[signature]
Haven't heard of that before. Sounds like an awesome catch.
[signature]
So i visited with fish and game seeing if they would be ok with stretching the law on handling of sturgeon because of catching through ice. That went over like a lead brick. Biologist recommended cutting the line and not handing fish at all. I never tried bringing up hole, so long i couldn't turn him up anyway, was hoping of at least a picture in the hole, nothing even at base. All i got was this jooked up picture...bummer
[signature]
I have caught them through the ice at that private farm pond in Parma. It would be fun to hook one, through the ice, on The Snake River.
[signature]