Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone Iced Holmes or Adams reservoir in Layton lately?

[signature]
read this:
http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...ead#unread
[signature]
thanks!

dang, that doesn't sound too promising. DWR site said the edges were good as of last Thursday, warm weather and rain must have ruined that.

Farmington Pond it is, then.
[signature]
The lower elevation lakes and ponds are going fast, so be careful out there. If you make it to Farmington Pond, please let us know about the conditions there, thanks.
[signature]
will do, i am going to check holmes first, since it is closer, and if it seems sketchy i will head to farmington.
[signature]
Got on Holmes quite easy. Edges were pretty good and about 7” of ice or so.
[signature]
It's been pretty cold since that other report was posted, good to hear the edges were better. Did you have any luck?
[signature]
Adams is closed in the winter ,not sure when they reopen it.
[signature]
Got a couple. They started getting really active about 7:30pm. Marking them all over the water column.
[signature]
I fished Holmes on Saturday. I came from the Northern side of the lake. The edges were fine and about 7-8 in of ice in both coves. I didn't venture to the rocky southern edge, but I did see 2 small groups come from that way later in the morning.
Holmes stays frozen pretty good. It stays pretty chilly down there. Bring really close to it we fished it then quickly gave up. Usually we are able to pull trout and even bass through the ice and this year has been unusually slow.

As for Farmington. Great ice. Fast fishing for planter bows. 😂 doesn’t matter the jig as long as it’s small. Only bait, however, that worked were salmon eggs. You could be pounding them and switch to anything else and not get a bite. Use salmon eggs.

They started closing Adams in the winter after the drained it. We don’t know why? However once it melts, heads up the carp are back and go out there and have a blast doing some control. Those carp can put up a fun morning, as they get really fat in that pond. Also, they attempted putting bigger predator trout, and wiper in there to help keep carp down. As that didn’t work... please if you somehow someway catch a tiger or brown... put it back 😂😂😂
[signature]
I am just wondering what you would recommend for catching bass in Holmes. I have seen a couple iced on a Swedish Pimple over on the south side near where trees have fallen into the water. Any other hints or ideas?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Often times it’s on Ratfinkees or Ratsos we are using for trout anyways. But sometime I’ll drop an ice cutr with green or glow on second rod and catch them. I just target them in the same locations I target them in the spring and summer. Nothing changes
[signature]
Thanks. What bait would you tip those lures with?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

My son and I hit Holmes the evening of the 18th. The ice and edges were good. About 7 in of clear ice under 6 in of cloudy ice. We got 4 Rainbows and 1 Bluegill in about 2 hours of fishing. Not my favorite place to ice fish, but its 5 minutes from my house and fishing is addictive.
I enjoy kayak fishing there and have done pretty well on the Bass in the early summer.

Adam's is a NoGo. Closed in winter for access and its filling fast. There is probably 10 yards of bad ice on the shore.
[signature]