Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish Hunter
Don’t know how many of you are looking for hunting units to put in for, but it’s that time of year for me again. Last year we got the fish lake tag for deer and my thoughts were hunt the mornings and evenings and fish in between. Well we only had two days and since we were new to the area we spent all day exploring and looking the area over. Great area by the way, but we only found a dozen small buck so we didn’t shoot anything.

This year we are looking for another area that would be good and maybe offer that crossover potential to fish as well. I’ve been wondering about Boulder seems that might get me down there to see what it’s like. Hoping to take my Dad with us so we may not be hiking long distances. How would the area be for that type hunt?

I’d love any other suggestions you might have. Thanks J

PS. I’ve always been one to hunt the old family spots, but we decided this is a great state to be from and we just as well look around and see some new stuff.
[signature]
Sent ya a PM
[signature]
Thanks for the PM and recommendation... I guess I should have mentioned that we will probably be hunting muzzleloader this year... We like the weather and lower crowds with a midweek opening day in late September.... Thanks again.. J
[signature]
Jeff-- watch for that pm from Darrell (Bovineowner). Got a feelin' he might have some good info for ya.

Okay, can't pass this up... Had my best buck on display at the recent Expo in SLC. Not fishing related but worth a look. Might be what you are looking for on your fish/hunt trip.

BLK
[signature]
Wow nice buck Lynn, I'll bet that was an exciting day!!! I used to chase the big gun's a lot more that I have lately and have a couple on the wall, but not that tall... Think my buck fever is still stronger than fish fever, but it's mostly kept in check lately since I don't chase them as much... However, if I got in the right spot and had a little time to spend, I'm pretty sure the old fever would come roaring back... What a great spot we live in... ya know life is pretty good around here... Thanks for the fun viewing... Later J
[signature]
Lynn,
WOW!!!! What a slug of a buck! I was up there Friday at the expo and missed seeing that. What I cant figure out is how that deer was ever killed by you? Was he watering down at Lincoln and you hit him with your boat? [laugh] Or maybe he was swimming across Provo bay and you snagged him trolling?[Wink] Kidding my friend. Congrats on a beautiful buck from a mean, steep mountain. With all that snow up there, maybe Goshen bay will have enough water to get a boat over there and catch those 4 footers I been telling ya about.
[signature]
[quote SkunkedAgain]... hunt the mornings and evenings and fish in between...

I’ve been wondering about Boulder seems that might get me down there to see what it’s like. ... How would the area be for that type hunt? [/quote]

The Boulder unit (Plateau, Boulder) is the largest unit in the state. It covers 5,348 square miles. It ranges from 3,800 feet elevation to 11,400 feet. The terrain spans remote red-rock deserts and canyons, vast pinyon/juniper forests, aspen covered slopes, and alpine meadows.

How would the area be for a "hunt the mornings and evenings and fish in between" type hunt? Well, just like the broadness of the unit, that's a broad question.

In theory, you could wake up on a Lake Powell beach, hunt the morning, fish the mid-day, and be back out hunting in the evening. Will you be successful with your hunt? Maybe not. But you'll catch fish.

You could also wake up in shadows of Blue Bell knoll, hunt the morning, fish the mid-day, and hunt the evening. Will you be successful with your hunt? Maybe. Maybe not. But you'll catch fish.

Just like any unit in the state, Boulder offers numerous opportunities. Wonderful opportunities. Unique opportunities. Many of which could easily satisfy your desire to hunt and fish in September - which is a great time of year to be looking for those famed Boulder Mountain brook trout (or CR cuts!).

Your question is valid -- but is very lacking. It begs additional info, and a narrowing of scope.

What areas are you interested in?
What places do you already know?
What is more important: trophy vs. average fish? trophy vs. average deer?
Are you expecting to hike? Or use ATVs?
Do you want to hunt the aspens? The pines? The alpine meadows? The slick-rock desert?

The easy answer to your question is: The Boulder would be great for a combo hunt / fish adventure.

Now you just have to narrow down what you really want.
We are here to help.
[signature]
I went to Boulder Mountain to hunt deer in September a number of years ago. I hardly ever saw anybody and had a grand time bumping around by myself. I camped by a lake but only tried fishing a little bit. They said if I found the mushrooms I would find the deer. It took quite a while to find even a small buck but it was an adventure. What I learned about myself is that I would rather hunt than take time out to fish. If you want to get really deep in the woods you'll be out all day anyway. Of course there is fishing in the dark with Wooly Buggers, but that's another story. Going down just to fish is on my bucket list, and my bucket has bigger leaks than your's, if you'll excuse a bad mixed metaphor, so I can't say, "Next year" much longer. I hope you find a great place to go and draw out because there is nothing quite like hunting at that time of year.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Pulled out the maps and started looking more seriously at this option. I didn't realize it is quite that big of unit. This is the first time I've started looking at that unit and it's a long ways from my home roaming area and from what I'm seeing on Google earth there's some beautiful country down there. I always hear how many lakes are down there, but from what I can see, it doesn't look like all that many.

I'm used to hunting the alpine type country, so I naturally start looking at the Donkey Lake to Fish Lake area, how is that zone for trophy fish and muzzle loader deer? Too thick to see the animals, but good fishing? It looks like a road goes into green lake, is that an old road and it's just a trail now? We will probably be doing more ATV hunting this year since it will be easier for Dad. But would like to check out some of those hike into lakes as well...

After looking at the reports I'm not sure where we'll go, but it is fun to look at new areas and dream about trying them... Thanks for the tips and help along the way... J
[signature]
Craig,
Thanks for the tips about the area. Isn't it Sad that when your young and able to get out and really enjoy the areas then you are so time bound by work and all that you don't do it as much as you'd like to... and when you get more freedom time wise then your health and ability to go and do, start to become limited... Is that one of those tragedies of life... We're hoping Dad will come with us again this year and it's always fun when he joins us, but he is harder to get off the farm than it is to get me to quit fishing... Was great last year when we took him down to Fish Lake area, only wish we could stay a little longer, but when you leave animals at home that need to be fed, you don't dare be away very long.. Does make those trips sweet though... Best of luck to you in your list, hope you get the really good ones to rise to the top... Later J
[signature]
[quote SkunkedAgain]Pulled out the maps and started looking more seriously at this option. I didn't realize it is quite that big of unit. ... I always hear how many lakes are down there, but from what I can see, it doesn't look like all that many. [/quote]

Boulder Mountain contains about 80 lakes, ponds, and reservoirs with trout. That's a decent number for one mountain.

[quote SkunkedAgain]I'm used to hunting the alpine type country, so I naturally start looking at the Donkey Lake to Fish Lake area, how is that zone for trophy fish and muzzle loader deer? [/quote]

The "North Slope" (Donkey Lake area) is a great area for fishing, and a good area for deer as well. It is mainly pine / spruce forest higher up (still below the Rim), and pinyon / juniper down lower. That lower country could be good for a September muzzy hunt.

The road to Green Lake is a mostly an ATV road - but people do drive trucks in there too. It is rough. I won't drive my personal truck in there. The fishing at Green can be excellent for trophy brook trout at times. Green has a history of partial winterkills. It's a lake that might produce a trophy brook trout, or it might give you nothing. Grayling are also stocked in Green -- so you should have an opportunity to catch some fish, regardless of the brook trout.

Blind is a fantastic fishing lake, with opportunities at trophy splake, and the hike from Green lake is a pretty easy hike.

Fish Lake is a different unit -- I'm assuming you know this. That's also a good option for a combo hunt / fish area, with numerous options for both deer and fishing.

[quote SkunkedAgain]After looking at the reports I'm not sure where we'll go, but it is fun to look at new areas and dream about trying them... Thanks for the tips and help along the way... J[/quote]

keep looking. Keep asking questions. You'll get plenty of info to help you figure out what to do.
[signature]
Hey thank you for all the great info... Nice to have someone that knows the area help with my dumb questions... Thanks again... Jeff
[signature]