Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2018/19 Ice Season
Ok it’s not over yet, but just thought I’d say why I’ve liked this ice season so much.

I’ve always wondered how Tony Grove would be for ice fishing. So I started off this season driving my truck to Tony before the snows came. Ice was thin the first trip but it held and we found lots of willing bows. Ended up making three or four trips before the snow got too deep for the truck and side by side. Last trip we didn’t make it to the lake and got high centered at the campground turn off. Too bad that pond was on fire, you’d catch a fish on each drop and quick too.

Next pond was Henry’s Lake in Idaho, had a great trip with the Ice Shanty group. Got a bunch of nice fish including two at 23 1/2” (Cut and Hybrid). Always like this trip taking the snowmobile and tent and Smitty, it’s a fun venture out onto the ice.

When I got back Mantua had capped and we hit it with around 3” of ice and got a great mix of fish there and really enjoyed that trip. I never got back there this year and I feel sort of Sad about it but everything capped about then and hoping for big perch at Newton where the pressure would be less, so I hit it the next week. This is the trip that nearly ended badly. Ice was only 2 3/4” and I took too much gear and had two crack and ice drops. Fish were terribly small and so I never went back.

Next trip was Hyrum and it was really good to me this year, perch to 11” and bows to 18”. Think I hit it two or three times and had good action each trip. During this time I also took short trips on Cutler where I never got big numbers of fish but did find a couple crappie around 12” most trips including my best at 12 1/2”.

About then I got with the Shanty crew for a Gorge scouting trip and we found a good day fishing for pup Macs. I think I only got four but they were all around 21” so it was fun.

Next pond was Porcupine and it has been fun trips with fair numbers of fish and sizes to 18”. I really like this trip because of the snowmobile in with the gear. I really like the adventure of these trips.

Well it’s not over but been a blast. More later J
[signature]
I meant to ask what your season has been like? Where have you fished and what have you found? Any particular things you like about ice fishing??? Always like to learn of new things and places to try... Thanks J
[signature]
This was my second year Ice fishing since moving to Utah 7 years ago and I learned a lot and added a lot more gear this year. I went from two rods, a five gallon bucket, my daughters snow sled and a hand auger I bought at the DI. Since then I have accumulated a jet sled, 2 five gallon buckets 8 rod and real combos including my new favorite inline ice reel. a shelter, a heater, a box full of tungsten jigs, Maniac baits, Cast Masters, Ratsos, Swedish Pimples and other assorted stuff, ice fishing chairs, a cordless drill Mora auger, a Jaw Jacker and a Garmen Striker 4 fish finder.

My season started at Henrys Lake where I iced 8 large cutthroats. I hit Mackay twice between Christmas and new years limiting out with 15 Kokanee both trips and putting my niece and nephew on fish the second trip. I hit Chesterfield during the same period registering my only skunk of the season so far. After the new years I have fished Porcupine 3 times with good success catching mainly big healthy browns, a few rainbows and 1 kokanee. I fished Hyrum once catching a pile of perch and a few bows. I have been to Strawberry twice the first trip was brutal wading through knee deep snow at chicken creek to catch a couple slot cuts one just short of 22" the second time near the marina where the access was much easier, but I only caught a couple there as well. I have done about half my trips alone and those have been my most productive trips, but I have also enjoyed taking some of my friends and family with me, especially getting my daughter out this last Monday.

Before the season is over I hope to get back up to Idaho to get on the Kokanee at Mackay and Ririe and also get back out to Porcupine, which by far has been my favorite spot in Utah this year. I have to thank all the people who have posted great reports, information and tips especially WiperHunter who turned me on to the Pig and SkunkedAgain who put us on the perch at Hyrum.
[signature]
Isn't ice fishing great! Sounds like you have had an excellent year... Just too bad we didn't get the Bear Lake ice to make it complete... One of these years we'll get ice on there again, then make sure to spend a day or two over there, it will be way worth it.. Thanks for the input, I used to do more Idaho ice fishing, but since the contest, I tend to stay in state and try to chase the local fish, but I know the Idaho trips used to be a blast and I miss them.. Hate to admit it, but I caught bigger fish up there.. Later J
[signature]
I hate [:/] the fact I have spent all my winter in Dallas and not even stepping onto the ice. [bobSad] Other than that thanks for getting Dad out on the ice a few times,
[signature]
This has been a gret year for me too. It was a nice early start and some great times on the hard deck. I finally fished Willard through the ice and had some decent success. I can't believe I have lived 3 miles from the south marina for 13 years and this is my first time ice fishing there. It's slowed down for me the last 3 weeks though. Been busy with other stuff but trying to get out a few more times before it's over.
[signature]
Almost got you on the ice that one trip that we were high centered a block or two short of the lake... Been fun to get Rich out a little... Last trip he wasn't feeling very well so I set him up on the farm pond and he sat and caught sunfish till 1:30 watching Grumpy old men on the Ipad while we fished.... kind of a fun day... Hope you get a chance to join us before it's over... Later J
[signature]
I had fun joining you on a couple of those trips, was some of the more active trips of the year... Glad you got onto the Willard ice... I really would like to, but just haven't had the time to get everywhere I'd like to and I guess your Willard is my Cutler... Not the first choices, but always fun to try and when you find some success it's all the more sweet because those spots aren't supposed to be ice fished... Thanks for joining me and taking me along for those trips I enjoyed them... Later J
[signature]
Just curious abou what species you caught at Willard?
[signature]
For sure those were a great couple trips. Thanks for taking me up to Tony's grove that was alot of fun and the first time I had ice fished in Utah in November. Then that early mantua trip was great too. That was probably the best day on Mantua I've ever had. Good times.
[signature]
Sounds like a pretty good season!
[signature]
Cowboy Up!
You picked the right one to reply to, he did better than I did, but I got perch, bluegill, green Sunfish, 18” bows and I guess that was all for me, but Slayer had a nice LMB I think it was like 14”, and I think he had a cutthroat but I’ll let him give you the true details I was just guessing. Later J
[signature]
Mostly small perch but a few 10 inchers, few smaller crappie and a small walleye.
[signature]
Ooops sorry I thought you meant on the Mantua trip... J
[signature]
I'd like to see how your season turned out, you had an incredible start and I'm sure you didn't let up... I'll bet you had a great year as well... Did you count species? I was amazed at the mixed bag you were catching through the ice... Hope it turned out good for you... Later J
[signature]
We had a great start and it just kept rolling. I’ll post up the season review and a bunch of pictures tonight or tomorrow.
[signature]
Cowboy Up!
It has been a great season! Snow depth brought a different challenge this year that we have not seen for a few seasons. Early cold temps brought ice slightly earlier than years past. Fun season for sure tried a few new waters along with my usual favorites. Don't sign off yet! We still have ice to fish on for a little while longer, enjoy it while it lasts.
[signature]
2018/19 Ice Season Review

We had a great year in the Ice. Was really nice to finally have some cold and snow this winter.

Species

Rainbow Trout
Tiger Trout
Cutthroat Trout
Golden Trout
Arctic Grayling
Lake Trout
Splake
Kokanee Salmon
Yellow Perch
Burbot
White Bass

Locations

11-10 Uinta Lakes
11-17 Uinta Lakes
12-1 Scofield
12-8 Birch Creek
12-15 Henry’s Lake
12-22 Strawberry
12-24 Sulphur Creek
12-29 Rockport
12-31 Causey
1-5 Starvation
1-12 Fish Lake
1-19 East Canyon
1-26 Lost Creek
1-26 Utah Lake
2-2 Sulphur Creek
2-8 Flaming Gorge
2-9 Flaming Gorge
2-16 Deer Creek
[signature]
Cowboy Up!
That's pretty cool and great sized fish too, would love to add a few of those species to my count anytime of the year, let a lone through the ice... Thanks for a great recap... and hope you can finish up strong, we probably have a month or so left... Good luck... J
[signature]
I wish I had another month left. But my spring “job” starts up on Monday and I am too busy to fish once that gets going. But hopefully y’all crush it the rest of the season.
[signature]
Cowboy Up!