Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using a flasher to draw the kokes
Have any of you that ice fish for kokanee ever jigged for them for them with a dodger or other attractor to bring them in, so you can hold them there longer? Here is a video on our ice fishing board that shows a member doing just that, with a jigging jaw jacker.
http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...ead#unread
[signature]
I have caught Kokanee up in Idaho at Ririe and Mackay and one of my observations is that unlike fishing for other species where we try to spread out and get away from other anglers, it is adventitious to fish in large groups close together, when the fish pass through. People encourage other anglers to drop down next to them to keep the fish around and active and will drill extra holes around them for the purpose of calling others over to get in the action when the bite is on. I think it could be productive if we got a large group together at Porcupine spread out over a grid of lets say 100 yards x100yards start fishing and when the Kokanee cross into part of the grid we all move into that area and catch as many as we can when the bite is on. In my experience when a school of kokes are under you, the hook up happens as soon as you can get back down the hole. It is fun social fishing.
[signature]
Funny you should mention that because I've done that exact thing twice, once at Porcupine and once at Causey both times we were able to limit out in a matter of minutes. When I did it at The Pig, I was with Packfan and a bunch of his friends that came up that day, catching our limits of 12 in under an hour if I remember correctly. When I did it at Causey, I was with a bunch of folks from BFT. Wiperslayer and I were the first to start catching them but then other members started moving over and that kept them there until most of them caught their limits. I think like you said that all those people being in a group like that, kept them there in both cases but I thought this video also shows that just having a few jigging dodgers in the same spot also helps.
[signature]
I found this
https://www.facebook.com/strawberrybay/v...814146285/
[signature]
Way back when my dad and uncle ice fished we drilled like 20 holes and the guy in the middle would jig a buzz bomb up and down as fast as he could and that seemed to draw them in and the lucky guys around him would catch a few .. But I haven't done that sence my dad stoped going ice fishing. But it worked then so I don't know why it would work now

Good luck
[signature]
I am not a great kokanee fisherman but have caught my share from the pig on the ice. I run a flasher about 8-10 inches above a bright pink tungsten ice fly and that's how I catch them. Usually I only have one rod set up for them in deep water and fish for browns about thirty yards away. But when I catch one if I'm fast enough I can drop the setup back down and hook another one or two before the school moves off.
[signature]
Sorry, I don't do facebook and I can't get you pic to open[Sad].
[signature]
That's a good idea, I guess I need to start fishing with some larger groups again, if i want to catch them. I will say that I've caught plenty before when there is just two of us but not in the last couple of years.
[signature]
Hey this sounds like the perfect job for my youngsters. They love just jigging for the fun of it. I'll just tie on some flashers without hooks like in the video, and let them go at it. Wish I could have targeted kokanee this year. Well I guess it's still possible, maybe...
[signature]
What size and color of flasher do you use? I've used silver castmasters before but never a flasher Pink is always my go to color for kokes. When the kokes come through it's all a matter of keeping their attention if you want to catch a limit, that is why I thought it was a good idea to use one of those jigging jaw jackers with just a flasher attached, then have your lure close by to catch them when they are there. Then you can still hold their attention with the flasher, when you pull one out and give you time to get your lure back down to them again, before they move off.
[signature]
I bet that would work great and much cheaper than a jigging jaw jacker. I was thinking about jigging with one rod with a flasher and having the lure in the other rod, the only problem with that idea is that I would have to put it down with I catch a fish, so I'm not sure if it could hold them there, if it wasn't moving[:/]. Still might be worth a try.
[signature]
Thats what liketrolling's video was about. Showed Eakle jigging with a rod in each hand at Strawberry. I dont know about cheaper, the jiggers run a few days on AA's, I have to buy half of Maverik's snack shelf when I take the family fishing.
[signature]
I saw that when I first clicked on it but then it closed and said I needed to log on to Face book, did not notice it was Adam Eakle, I wonder if they are going to do a show about it[:/].
[signature]
I would like to meet up with some people at the Pig and try to locate schools of Kokanee if anyone is interested in meeting up there this Saturday, I’ll invite some people I know, does anyone else want to invite there friends and family’s and give it a go?
[signature]
Lets do it. I know next to nothing about kokanee fishing. But at very least I can be the one jigging in the hole to keep them interested. Pm me the details
[signature]
I invited a few people and I am going, anyone who wants to give it a go I’ll be at the top of the dam around 7:30 am Saturday in a grey Silverado pickup. Wiperhunter when you targeted Kokanee in the past what part of the lake did you find them? I have caught them in Idaho on Swedish pimples, ratsos and gitzillas, pink is my go to color I’m planning on bringing some of my sling blade flashers and giving that a shot. I have caught them tipping my jigs with corn, power maggots and meal worms and will try them. If anyone wants to join please post a response on this string. I hope to see a good turn out and have the opportunity to meet some more BFT members.
[signature]
Yes, there will have a show this week on it.
[signature]
I cant remember if it is silver and holographic or just silver and I believe its a six inch. I think you have the right idea with having one rod that just jigs a flasher and another with just the lure. I think its HT that makes a wind jigger that might work for the pig.
[signature]
[quote obifishkenobi] Wiperhunter when you targeted Kokanee in the past what part of the lake did you find them?[/quote]

We have caught them all over the lake, while ice fishing but my favorite spot is over by the cliff near the spillway, about 25 to 50 yds out. You never know how deep they will come through but I usually start at 15 to 20 ft deep then adjust my depth when I see them on my electronics. The more spread out your group is the better chance of someone seeing and catching them. Be careful getting on the ice by the dam, when we were there two weeks ago the water level was raising and there was a pretty good gap between the shore and solid ice.
[signature]
There was a thread on the Idaho board about a homemade jigger:
http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...ead#unread
That might be worth giving a try, looks pretty simple to make. I can see how the silver flasher would work, the koke see the flash from far away and come to investigate, i bet holographic would work the same.
[signature]