Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FYI: License changes
Just read this on another site so check it out and lets hear what you guys think about it.

[url "http://www.le.state.ut.us/~2004/bills/hbillint/hb0211.htm"]http://www.le.state.ut.us/~2004/bills/hbillint/hb0211.htm[/url]
[signature]
I LIKE THE IDEA
[signature]
I'm still a little sceptical about how it will effect the fishing, good/bad. I was wondering, mikecromaine, if you had any other thoughts on the issue.
[signature]
Sounds like a good idea to me. But I wonder how it will effect the DWR's revenue.
[signature]
I'm sure the year long licenses will go up for both out-of-state and in-state but the 1 day and 7 day will probable go down. I'm not sure if they'll get more money but it should even it out over the year instead of just at the first.
[signature]
I'm against it and here is why. The Jan 1st start date on annual licences gives the UT sportsman tremendous clout with out DWR. To loose this collective clout would give us no way to send a clear message to the DWR if they make a grevios rule that we strongly disagree with.

As it stands now we have a clear chance each Jan to not buy a licence. This effects the revenue of the DWR. Lets say that after opening the Provo to bait above Charlston bridge that the sportsman were so outraged (they wern't) that we decided to boycott buying a licence until April 1st, No revenue till April 1st would cause big funding problems for the DWR, this would cause them to have to ask the Legislature for $ to meet obligations, the legislators would want to know why UT sportsman were not buying licences and would pressure the DWR to give the sportsman what they wanted to bet them to buy licences.

Notify your legislator that you are against the change. Keep the power we now have should we ever need to use it.
[signature]
I'd rather leave it how it is. If I want to purchase my license for the following year in December, I don't want that license to expire in December. If you have the choice to do it the old way or the new way then I'd be fine with it.
[signature]
Troll as sportsmen we all want generally the same thing but a boycott of licenses will never happen or work. We as a whole don't stick together unless its the only option. The clout is meaningless as you pointed out nobody followed through on the Provo boycott.

If you really looking for more clout start a Utah anglers association and get the power of members and money.
[signature]
Cat man you can still buy your licenses when ever you want to. I know I'll be getting mine in Dec/January as always but if I don't I'll still get 365 days of fishing for $26.

The only thing I wouldn't be surprised is the DWR is going to raise the cost of year licenses to cover the decline in short term licenses.
[signature]
Thats what i'm talking about, we have the power of money. The fact that there is no sticking together is just a Sad statement about us.
[signature]
Totally right but we never stick together so that little bit of power doesn't mean jack. I'd give some of these groups my name to use but I don't really like the causes they fight for so I don't send money.
[signature]
I could be wrong, but I don't think the dwr actually gets any of the money that we pay for hunting or fishing licenses. It all goes into the general fund, and the legilators allocate a certain amount of the general fund to whatever agency they want to give it to. License sales could double or triple, and it would only have a small impact on the dwr budget. Maybe that's changed though. Anyone?
[signature]
That is correct mateo. Many of us here have been saying that we'd love to get a law enacted that requires 100% of license sales to go to wildlife improvement and other DWR budget items. (Or at least 80%?? [Tongue])
[signature]
I would love to see that. However, to do that, you'd take money away from other programs, which would be politically incorrect. Not likely to happen any time soon.
[signature]
I think that the money spent on licences, park admission, outdoor fines and anything else dealing with the outdoor usage should go right to the DWR and let them fix what needs to be fixed at the parks and hire more people to help run our parks, including more rangers. Just my thoughts.
[signature]
I have been corrected, We are powerless.

I guess it doesn't matter what they do.[unsure]
[signature]
I kind of like the way it is just because I don't think I will remember that I have to renew my license on June 16th, or whenever it might be. Every calendar year is simpler. I've heard of people having lifetime licenses. What is the story on those?
[signature]
Sales on lifetime licenses were discontinued in Utah over ten years ago. Too bad...I would have loved to have gotten one. For $500 you had a lifetime hunting and fishing license. In addition, you now get your pick of what deer region you'd like to hunt in....none of that drawing out for general tag junk.
[signature]
They quit selling those around 94. I'm sure they will still get there licenses at the same time Jan. 1st of just before.

So why don't somebody on this site start a patition and get a law passed or get something on the ballet like proposition A or what ever. With the right backing and support from hunters and fisherman then it would work.

Or we all could go in mass numbers to RAC meetings and address the issue. If enough people spoke up and got the idea in there heads it would be brought before the Wildlife Board. Who knows what would happen after that though. A simple email to all the RAC and wildlife board members would do wonders to get things changed.
[signature]
[red][size 3]Hey I'm all for it. It was sure a bunch nicer for me when State park passes lasted for tweve months from date of purchase instead of expiring the end of the year. That sure made for a lot more flex in my budget. I think I'll write my congressman, thanx. [/size][/red]
[signature]