Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
davisjeremy1981, CFF #1 Chic, 3rd place, 02/16/19, Ken (flyman)
Word for the day was Slow. Prefishing leading into CFF 1 was not productive at all so we decided to go with baits and areas that had produced for us in the past this time of year and just cover as much water as possible. The fish were there but very difficult to catch. We took off and ran straight to an isolated rock bar on a clay bank and sure enough there was already a boat there but they were actually sitting on top of the fish. So we waited about 15min and sure enough they left so we pulled in and put the first keeper in the boat on a red crank bait. Fished another 15min without another bite so we decided to start running the first 1/3 to 1/2 of creeks and pockets that had big rock banks. Hit the first two with out any luck pulled into the third and I felt my crank bait hit a grass edge, I ripped it free and a 4lber tried to rip the rod out of my hand. We now had two in the boat that went about 7 and it wasn't even 830am yet. Then there seemed to be a mid morning lull settle over the hole lake. You could see the fish and bait on the electronics but they just weren't eating. Continued to run our pattern but only managed two slicks til we decided to change things up about 1230. We ran back into chesterfrost and starting running some of the rock banks in the mouth til we saw gulls diving on the stump flats near the ramp and figured it was worth a look. Sure enough there was bait there and fish holding on the drop coming off the flat so we started running traps and cranks thru the stumps. I hopped down in the boat to retie and Ken took the front. I no sooner got retied and stepped back up when out of the corner of my eye I see his rob double over. Didn't even wait just grabbed the net and he put our 3rd fish, another 4lber, in the boat. Continued on the same line and 10min later Ken almost got the rod taken from him and #4, another 4lber came aboard. Its now about 1pm and we're sitting on what we think is 12-14lbs so we go looking for that kicker bite. Ken kept throwing the trap but I switched up and started throwing the rig and a big swimbait but we never did find a big girl. Slow day only had 7 bites all day but we fished clean and put everything in the boat. Ended up with 12.76 to squeak ahead of Earl and Ronnie for 3rd place. All fish were caught on red/chartreuse traps or cranks depending on the water clarity off of rock and stump flats near a deep drop.