Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport Good Again - Tues. 26 Feb.
Had to try it again....I knew with the warmer temps that the edges might be in question (West/highway side), so we had our plank if needed....not needed today, but maybe as soon as tomorrow or Thurs.....the pathway down and back up was getting sloppy, but doable..the edge going out, and then coming back at 1:30 was solid, but coming back out, water was puddling pretty good in several places..(but solid under water).....It was windy and warm, but comfortable in our shelters -- a must in the wind for perch fishing....The perch bite was on again for me, and pretty consistent right up 'til we left at 1:00....23 came home to the fillet table, just nice average size, most in the 8.5" range, but 8 in the 9 to 10" range.....Swing and a Miss was the norm for me today, so I was grateful for what I did get.....Like last Sat., a glow Perch Talker worked well, esp. when (treble hook) tipped with perch eye and (T.D. recipe) soaked cut perch meat....mini Forage Minnow in pink/white also very good tipped with wax worm, or the same perch meat/eye combo....we were in 46 to 48 FOW....solid ice is still 14 to 16" thick....Guluk....and have a plank just in case....
[signature]
How deep was the area you were fishing?
I fished 34 ft Monday about in the middle of the lake and the camera had perch on it all morning long but I could not make them bite anything I presented. Caught a nice brown and a 14" rainbow that went back and that was it. Tried crawlers, some old perch meat from the freezer, wax and meal worms, went big went small went home.
[signature]
Nice report, thanks for sharing and I'm glad it was a good trip for you. Thanks for including the detail too. I've never heard of a Perch Talker, but it sounds like it might be similar to a jigging rapala?

Keep up the good work!
[signature]
Maybe you missed this:
[quote Jmorfish]we were in 46 to 48 FOW....solid ice is still 14 to 16" thick....Guluk....and have a plank just in case....[/quote]
[signature]
OK, I "googled them. Clearly I guessed wrong about what they look like[Tongue]
[signature]
I was so dazzled by a success story that I missed the depth at which it occurred, Thanks for the follow up.
[signature]
No problem, i figured you just missed it, I've done the same many times.
[signature]
I picked up an extra one today at Sportsman's in Riverdale...2 were still there when I left (the glow - pink/white) Not cheap, $ 5....but very effective for me, especially on the larger perch....A lady, at a place that I do some volunteer work, had some home-made earings on that looked just like these - minus the hooks - but I couldn't convince her to lend me even one! Guluk....
[signature]
LOL, I wish I could have heard you trying[Wink]
[signature]
I can't go by the earring display at Walmart without stopping to see which ones would make good lures. I also have noticed some strange reactions when I tell a woman that her jewelry would make good fish bait. [laugh]
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

[#0000ff]As a lifelong lure maker and tackle tinkerer I also get some inspiration from checking out jewelry items and the beads and bauble sections of hobby shops.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]
[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But I take it a different direction. After getting some requests from womenfolk I began making pins and earrings with my fly tying stuff...using gold safety pins for the pins and cutting the hook barbs off of gold hooks for the earrings.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]
[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Ya gotta know that any gal that will request...and wear these things...is a keeper.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]
[/#0000ff] [inline BAUBLES.jpg]

[#0000ff][inline ORNAMENTS.jpg]
[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Some of those look like they would make good facial decorations for punks and goths (especially those with a fishing bent). Can you supply chains with those? [crazy]
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

[#0000FF]I only do piercings. No whips or chains. That's getting too kinky.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]What's the difference between kinky and perverted? Kinky is with a feather. Perverted uses the whole chicken.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
You and those chickens again. I thought one roostertail would be enough for you.
[signature]

[#0000FF]Never enough. As they say about "other things", if you miss out on one you are one behind for the rest of your life.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
You are a man of many talents....nice to know you are keeping some of the ladies smiling with your feathers and fur creations....and I am appreciative of your good glow jigs, and perch juice mix also....helps keep me smiling too!.....Fish On!!....
[signature]
[#0000FF]Glad you like the glow goodies...and the "stank bait".
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Are you sure you wouldn't like a couple of pairs of earrings?
[/#0000FF]
[signature]